1999 LX470 Compressor Clutch Coil Connector? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my A/C has been squealing for a while and I ignored it because I didn't feel like spending a grand or so at the shop.

Then one day my climate control computer shut off completely. I inspected the fuses and noted the climate control fuse (I forget what it's labeled/named in the documentation) was blown, so I replaced it. The climate control computer turned on for about a second, and then shut off completely again. I checked the fuse and it was blown again. After some intense head scratching and googling, I guessed this probably meant there was a pretty bad short somewhere, probably related to the magnetic clutch coil. I still didn't feel like spending a grand at the shop, so I ignored it for a couple more weeks and just rolled down the windows.

Eventually it seized up and snapped the serpentine belt so I was no longer able to ignore it.

Upon inspection I noticed that the pulley was totally ****ed, made a scraping noise when I turned it and wobbled freely, but the clutch face plate had no play in any direction and turned smoothly with pumping resistance. I decided this probably meant the system was holding pressure and the compressor itself was fine, but the compressor pulley bearing was completely shot, and I didn't have high hopes for the clutch coil either.

I disassembled the compressor clutch assembly (in the vehicle, without removing axles, skid plates, engine fan, loosening the compressor or anything. I look like I went emo and started cutting myself on account of the fan blades, but I can confirm it's possible to do). When I removed the snap ring for the pulley, the pulley pretty much fell off in a shower of bearings. That theory really didn't need confirmation, but there it was. This also revealed the face of the coil was eaten into with exposed wiring, so the coil theory was also confirmed.

I purchased what I can only assume is China's finest, Santech, clutch pulley bearing and coil from Autozone because it was the only one I could find anywhere.

Now I'm at that classic impasse -- how do you fit a round plug in a square hole?

The Santech coil has a square connector, what's left of the stock coil seems to have a round connector. Both coils have a ring terminal ground. Additionally, the stock coil's connector is thoroughly attached to a metal bracket on the compressor body.

So, I have some questions.

1) What the **** is that connector?

2) How do I get that s*** off the compressor body?

I'm thinking about just cutting the connector off the stock coil, and the square connector off the replacement coil, and using a heat shrink solder butt connector to frankenstein the stock s*** onto the replacement coil, which would solve problem #1, if I could solve problem #2.

I have some pictures for you to consider:

9UTTBWN.jpg

The stock compressor coil connector, attached to bracket on compressor body.

6Qp5wPj.jpg

The stock wiring harness connector to which the compressor coil connector mates

I seek your guidance, internet vehicle friends. How do I liberate the compressor coil connector from the bracket?

I figured it out. I removed the primary 3? position compressor connector by poking the underside with a flathead and sliding it upward off the bracket. This exposed the underside of the compressor coil connector, which was a plastic barb. I was able to push one of the plastic barbs in and push the connector to the opposite side so that only one barb was holding it into the bracket, then I was able to pull it to the other side and remove it.

That lead to the next complication -- there doesn't seem to be any angle to get at the screw for the coil's ring terminal ground, and they're Philips so that's probably not happening. I clipped that wire as close to the crimp as I could to free the damaged coil.

The second screw on that bracket looks to have a clear shot for a long enough screwdriver, so I may attempt to connect the new coil's ring terminal ground to that. Failing that I'll extend the wire to a grounding point that's not a pain in the ass to get to, or maybe drill a chassis ground :hmm:

If I do get one of those Philips head screws out I think I will replace it with an Allen head, they'd be super easy to get out (and back in, for that matter) with an Allen key and I'd be a lot less worried about wallowing out the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom