Idea For My FJ40 Build. Input Appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
You may have seen another thread about my new FJ40 thread, this is kind of expanding upon it. I own a '78 Proffitt's resto that was my Dad's before he passed away a couple of years ago. I love it, but I want to keep it looking nice instead of beating it to piss on the trail. The '78 mostly original and all that but I decided to get FJ40 #2 since I saw this in the classifieds for $2k. This one is a 1976 with 1969 (checked the vin) GM 327 V8.
I am already in the beginning phases of lowering it down to stock height (or perhaps 2 in taller). I know that this it is currently ridiculous, stupid, unsafe etc, but that is being addressed like I say. I am now thinking about the next step.
I want this to be a mountain rig that can buzz around too. I do not care about OEM parts, pedigree Toyota engines etc as much. The current 327 in it is rough but I have gotten it to run a little better and I am not sure I want to keep this as the final motor. My current options are:
1: Digging into this motor and getting it running good again, perhaps adding TBI to it and if compression does not look to good when I check it, having it rebuilt. Currently this seems the easiest option if the bones of the motor are good but I know rebuilds can get spendy. I am planning to do a lot of work on this myself, but I am really not qualified for a full rebuild.
2: Getting a salvaged GM 350 or 5.3 V8. I would want it to have fuel injection since I live in Wyoming and will use it a lot above 9,000 ft. What would this entail as far as motor mounts and transmission adapters go? And how long can the stock 4 speed transmission ideally handle that much torque coming from those motors?
3: Eventually getting a refurbished 2F or salvage 2F. I know all the downsides of this, scarcity of parts, expense, yada, yada, yada, but still exploring. I am not quite sure what exactly was retro-fit as far as motor mounts and all that when the V8 was put in there, but if I go that route, there might have to be even more fabrication involved to get a straight 6 back in there.
4: Any other option I might be missing here?

I want to underline that this truck will be a play truck, not a museum piece or a something desperately trying to be original. I just want something that will be reliable and not shoot oil fumes out of the exhaust. Money is naturally a factor but I am willing to spend a fair amount to get it running good.
Curious to hear your suggestions regarding my current situation. I realize this project could potentially take years but the motor is currently what is on my mind.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice!

Edit: Yes, I realize the bezel is upside down. Also will be addressed.

20180805_174744.jpg

20180802_201207.jpg

20180806_195632.jpg

Last edited:
I like option number 1 assuming a rebuild or whatever to get it going. The 327 is a great engine-/ good enough for vettes to use for 10 years starting in 62 so that says something.

I wouldn’t go through the trouble of pulling the 327 unless it gives you a compelling reason. Sounds like the 4 speed is still behind it?

Lower it, tune up the engine, drive the :censor: out of it :flipoff2:

I'll go with option 4.

The lift on that is ridiculous especially with 35" tires. Remove the lift springs and replace with stock leaf springs to get it under control. A spring over with 35" tires isn't unsafe... but you don't drive it like a sports car.
View attachment 1771188

I wouldn't swap a TBI onto the 327. If you must have fuel injection, I would buy a complete drop out engine of choice and swap it in. I had a 5.0L TBI in my old FJ40 and loved it for the most part. My current FJ55 has a 6.0L vortec in it. VERY strong runner. My FJ55 project is progressing toward a turbo'd 5.3L.

As I mentioned I'm currently lowering the truck. PO did it, not me. Probably why the entire truck was $2k.
As far as swapping goes I'm a little unaware of what needs retrofitted. The manual trans is the stock 4 speed. Currently the engine smoke a bit out of the exhaust and at the very least needs a carb rebuild. I think EFI would probably be better for wheeling and high altitude exploring at 11,000 ft.

EFI 100% better for wheeling and altitude :)

My comment is related to don't swap EFI parts onto that engine or try to piece meal EFI parts or kits. Buy a factory used engine from a running car and use it complete. Do a mild rework of the factory harness. Tune out the anti-theft functionality and enjoy. More often than not, people with issues an EFI swap tried to piece meal it together or used some aftermarket kit. Personally, I had HUGE issues with a painless harness.

Thanks for the info. I would really like to get something like a used Chevy 5.3 from a wrecked or salvaged truck. As far as motor mounts and adapting plates, what all is entailed? Also wondering if a 43 year old 4 speed manual can handle that torque?

They make conversion motor mounts that go from your 327 to a 5.3L. Maybe $80 for the nice billet style. Not a big deal.

The bellhousing pattern on the LSx engines is exactly the same except one of the upper bolt holes is now dead center top. Advanced Adapters told me no issue running 5 out of six bolts on my 6.0L with their bellhousing.

Not sure on the strength of the 4 speed. My 6.0L FJ55 is running an NV4500 ;)

Thanks! This is good info! Definitely leaning towards a 5.3 or even 6.0 if I can find something cheap enough to swap in. Would be nice to have a newer engine that does not have a smoke plume trailing it.

I'm loving the 5.3 I put in my 40. Plenty of power and torque. I bought the motor, 4l60e and harness from a guy parting out a 2001 Suburban for $800. I've got a build in the hardcore section if you want to read about it - Builds - PLC build. At this point, I have no regrets for putting in a modern engine. Swapping in a newer motor for you wouldn't be all that hard, since you already have motor mounts and are set up for SBC. I had a local company rework my harness and flash the pcm, which made the electronics plug and play. I say go for it!

I'm loving the 5.3 I put in my 40. Plenty of power and torque. I bought the motor, 4l60e and harness from a guy parting out a 2001 Suburban for $800. I've got a build in the hardcore section if you want to read about it - Builds - PLC build. At this point, I have no regrets for putting in a modern engine. Swapping in a newer motor for you wouldn't be all that hard, since you already have motor mounts and are set up for SBC. I had a local company rework my harness and flash the pcm, which made the electronics plug and play. I say go for it!
Thanks, definitely going to check this out while I should be working today. ha

Personally, I'd consider even a 4.8L engine.

When I did the 6.0L in my green 55(trail55 in my sig), I compared 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L(LQ4), and 6.0L(LQ9) for MPG in a Silverado. The difference between them all wasn't worth considering one over the other.

I went for 6.0L over 5.3L because it was only ~$250 price difference for ~30k mile complete drop out engines.

I wouldn't touch the 6.0L(LQ9 or high output) because it basically is a light compression bump that requires higher octane gas.

I would definitely consider a 4.8. Reliability is way more of a factor for me than all out hot rodding torque and HP. Being able to drive to local wheeling destinations 25 and 80 miles away would be awesome.

Well a little update, I found a local custom shop that said they would lower my 40 and drop a used GM 5.3 with 75k in it for $15k. At this point I am torn between doing that, knowing that I will eventually have to put more money into it on other things, or getting a Mahindra Roxor for the little cabin my wife and I have up in the mountains.
With the motor swap comes no guarantees, I am unsure if the stock 4 speed will suffice (it seems to be a good transmission). I can get into a Roxor for less money but I love 40s. I also realize this is my FJ40 #2 and I already have a badass one to start with. Torn at the moment. I know I will get s*** for posting that I really love the Roxors here but knowing I will be having kids soon really makes the Roxor with a warranty seem like an attractive idea. Any non-condescending advice is appreciated!

You can't drive a Roxor on the street, so that would be completely off the table IMO.

As for 40 #2, getting the suspension taken care of is as easy as new stock height springs and nice shocks. Personally, I would keep the 327 if it is healthy (good compression numbers) and use a learning aftermarket TBI system that uses a return-less fuel system (something like this: MSD Atomic EFI | JEGS). Even with all the little unexpected cost, you would only be into the less than $6k.

1. Best/funnest FJ40 I ever owned had the 300 H.P. 327 in it, great off road power and torque, and very good gas milage- - -I'd rebuild that sucker.
2. If at all interested, I have the entire TBI fuel injection system off of a sbc engine, including intake manifold, throttle body, air cleaner, distributor, ECU, etc. (my ebay #253560148230).
3. If choosing newer 4.8 or 5.3, not only can you get the adapter brackets mentioned above for the motor mounts, but you will also need a different flywheel and pilot bushing adapter, plus something for producing a 40 pulse VSS signal.
4.You might try to find the Downey Off Road link here on Mud, then look for the Downey V8 installation instruction manual on that link, then print yourself a copy of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom