Dash Defrost Vents and Vent Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the late model 40s that had vent windows in the doors also have the 2 dash defrost vents or tubes (Circled in red)

FJ40 Vented Window DS _ PS .jpeg

FJ40 Dash w:Ac and Defrost Vents.jpeg

Last edited:
only some of them. "high altitude " models they say...

My 83 has wing windows in the doors and no defrost tubes

My 83 does not have vent windows but has the defrost vents. I had an 80 that didn’t have vent windows and also didn’t have the defrost vents.

Yup, Middle East.

I guess that would have been some important information to include huh :flipoff2:

Toyota pretty much left out items not needed for the country of import, it seems. Middle East for the most part does not need heat. USA , one never knows where the rig will end up, so heat was needed. Of course air conditioning did not even begin until late 70's.

my 81 was originally sold in CA and it has them.

Did Canada have vent windows? US they were dropped in 75 with the style of the doors being changed. My opinion why has to do with the cars dropping vent windows when flow thru ventalation was introduced. Dropping vent windows gave the door a modern look but hurt ventalation. Only Canada got the relief vents in the 40 series. That was a key part of flow thru ventalation. Getting humid air thru and out the back helped the window from fogging up. The side defrost and vent window never happened in the US since the vent windows was gone before the side window defrost vents started.

Sorry...I meant the defrost ducts...Ive never seen the vent windows on US FJ40's

US had bug catcher style vent windows until around the 65 model. Standard vent windows until the 75 model. More and more later style doors with vent windows are making their way to the US. I see no reason for dropping the vent other than how the door looks.

US had bug catcher style vent windows until around the 65 model. Standard vent windows until the 75 model. More and more later style doors with vent windows are making their way to the US. I see no reason for dropping the vent other than how the door looks.

I meant on an 81

I meant on an 81

A few 83s may have made their way here with not US options the last year they were imported, including vent windows. 75-82 did not have vent window in the US market. US was not the norm and last year may have just imported a couple with vent windows to fill the ones here verses making a special run for just a couple. I remember a Olive 83 in Oregon that may have had the vent windows. Now you see one most likely doors or vehicle imported from another market. Currently working on getting a set to go with other non US market parts like five speed and FF rear axle.

Toyota pretty much left out items not needed for the country of import, it seems. Middle East for the most part does not need heat. USA , one never knows where the rig will end up, so heat was needed. Of course air conditioning did not even begin until late 70's.

Based on what I’ve seen (which isn’t very much compared to most) the Middle East trucks came with a front heater but no rear heater or the defrost tubes in question. Maybe they were options.

Revival: any suggestions on sourcing these.

663F8B18-B74D-43C2-925B-755A0E1F8898.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom