1976 Rear Quarter Panel and Rear Sill Replace (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my son and I have been working hard on our '76 project all summer and we're getting ready to tackle some body work.

As you can see from the pics, the rust problems are in the rear quarter panels and rear sill (well, that's where we'll start at least).

I've looked for any sort of step by step posts outlining the process, and have also reached out to CCOT (which is where I'm planning on sourcing the panels), for any sort of instructions, but haven't found anything that outlines it in as much detail as I'd like/need.

I'm hoping that someone could provide some better sources than I've been able to find which outlines a proven process for us (which, full disclosure, are newbies when it comes to body work!)

Thanks mudders!

2018-07-04 18.04.25.jpg

2018-02-27 19.26.32.jpg

2018-02-27 19.26.47.jpg

2018-02-27 19.28.46.jpg

If you start tearing into this body it will prove to have more work needed than originally thought.
Take the roof/doors off. Then weld cross brackets across the sills to keep it structurally solid.
The whole body is much more flexible than one thinks.
I rebuilt the entire rear tub with CCOT pieces, they are very good and you should have a factory
finish repair when you are done.
2006_0526cruiser0008.JPG

Then I found myself at this stage. Don't be bashful about ordering parts. Get them all.

FJ40 Body Restoration 009.JPG
FJ40 Body Restoration 010.JPG

Oh, I forgot the MOST important thing - measure everything, I mean everything. Top to bottom, side to side.
Every dimension on the whole thing. Especially top of wheel well to bottom of upper sill. Do it at 4 points along
the whole sill length. Distances between inner fenders on the floor, everything.
If you are replacing the outer skins, get a Blair spot weld cutter. This is the most useful tool
for drilling spot welds. Look on my signature line, I must have drilled 100 when I did the BJ74 rear quarter.

yeap.
cut what needs cut, then replace.
like yoda said, there is no try, it's do or do not.
there is a tape measure and square in most of those pictures for a reason, you need them....alot.

tinF.jpg

tinI.jpg

View attachment 1770853

tinH.jpg

tinJ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom