Tire Wear Diagnosis and Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 HDJ81 with stock size 31x10.5r15 Bridgestone tires that came with the vehicle when we bought it back in November of 2016. In the last year or so all four tires have developed tire wear that I'm having trouble determining the cause (and what to do to fix it). Our tires are due for replacement soon, yes, but I want to figure out the wear issue before I get new tires so I'm not experimenting on new tread!

We have put about 30k miles on the tires (the tires were NOT new when we got the truck but had a good bit of tread left). The tires have not been rotated or balanced in the 30k miles we've put on it. The wear is only on the inside and outside row of tread lugs of each tire (not the center portion). It looks like a combination of tire feathering (again, only on the outside and inside row of tire lugs, not the center portion) and maybe some cupping? The feathering is definitely present. I can't figure it out because it's not just one or two tires, it's all four tires with almost the same tire wear pattern. We had our shocks replaced over 1.5 years ago with brand new shocks, but that is the only suspension work done on the truck (it currently has about 114k miles on it).

If you drive on dirt, you can see the uneven wear in that there is a wear pattern of every two outer/inner lugs, then no wear, then another two lugs are worn/feathered. I have included several photos showing just one tire's wear, but all four have the same wear pattern...any ideas???

I keep the tires properly inflated to around 34 psi and none of the four tires lose any air over time that I've noticed.

Thanks!!

Thanks @White Stripe and @Jgrauman! I have not checked for tie rod end excessive play. Since both the front and rear tires are experiencing the same wear pattern, I figured it is either because of not rotating them like @Jgrauman said, or something else suspension related? Sounds like I need to get them rotated and balanced and see if the existing balancing is way off...that might explain it. I just can't figure out why all four tires would show the same wear pattern...I would think the chances of all four tires being unbalanced is pretty small.

Any other culprits that I should be looking for???

Too low of tire pressure and not rotating them often enough.

If it is on both inside and outside edges of the tire, it's too low. If it's only the inside edges on F/R, you may have bent axles. (Hill Jumping)
Or, you just have crap tires and they didn't wear well.

Thanks @BILT4ME ... I will look into tire pressures again, but the tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T (actually made in Japan) and I would guess they are decent tires. I've been running them at 34 psi for awhile (both front and rear)...I would think low tire pressures would cause even wear on the inner/outer tread lugs, not an alternating wear pattern like what I'm seeing. Thanks for the advice!

Check the load rating on the tires. I know it is a truck tire, but the tire load rating may be right near the top of what it can handle and the 80 in any form is not a lightweight. Even at full inflation, if you are near the total capacity of the tires it could exhibit such signs as BILT4ME suggested. This is especially so near the end of its life.

And if you plan to hit the trail, keep in mind that it\s worn enough it's really a street tire at this point, so you'd want to upgrade anyway at this point. Once a tire is that worn, it's all but impossible to even out the wear for the last few miles you might be able to squeeze out.

Thanks @BILT4ME ... I will look into tire pressures again, but the tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T (actually made in Japan) and I would guess they are decent tires. I've been running them at 34 psi for awhile (both front and rear)...I would think low tire pressures would cause even wear on the inner/outer tread lugs, not an alternating wear pattern like what I'm seeing. Thanks for the advice!

I have the Bridgestone Dueler on my 95 Jeep GC They wear excellent on THAT truck. I know of others that have the same tire (same tread design, different size, made for vehicle) on Yukon, they get that kind of wear that you are experiencing.

Apparently, that particular design does well on smaller, lighter trucks, but not on the heavier ones like the LC and Yukon.

I've seen that kind of wear first-hand because I didn't believe it when I was told about it, due to my experience on my Jeep.

Run them until they are done and get new tires, either BFG KO2's, GY Duratracs, or whatever flavor you prefer.

In the mean time, get them rotated to attempt to even out the tire wear and reduce noise.

FYI, you SHOULD be rotating between 8000-10,000 miles.

My experience from working at tire shops for a while: I remember for a while those old Dueller A/Ts were okay, but not super great. While there were quite a few people who they worked fine for, there were larger instances of warranty claims made on them - this is in the Chicagoland area with mainly IFS trucks and lots pot holes - so may be different for you. I remember the Dueller A/T going through a few re-vamps and the newest iterations are pretty decent. That being said that wear pattern looks pretty consistent with what I've seen for some of the older versions of those tires.

I've had 33" BFG KO2s on my rig for about 30k miles (also have not rotated or balanced) and the first 10k was with old clapped out OE shocks/springs/suspension. They have worn pretty evenly and are still relatively quiet. These trucks seem to take better Load Range D/E tires (but I don't have a lot of experience with them besides my truck & mud).

Also check for the DOT number - it will be a 11-12 digit 'code' on the side wall of the tire (sometimes the full number will be on the inside sidewall). The last 4 digits correspond the the week/year the tire was manufactured. That may give some insight into how old the tires are. Last 4 digits will read WWYY - ex. 0311 - third week of 2011.

Thanks @ChiYota , I'll see what my DOT code is and go from there. Didn't realize that the load range may be off too...thank you all for the contributions/advice! It helps to hear first-hand knowledge on specific tires. My guess is that they are load range C...but I will double check and report back soon.

Dump 'em, do four-wheel alignment with new tires in-place. Rotate, check pressures. Coooper A/T3s cannot be beat. Overland Journal tire review--

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Last edited:
Dump 'em, do four-wheel alignment with new tires in-place. Rotate, check pressures. Coooper A/T3s cannot be beat. Overland Journal tire review--

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Only thing they can adjust is Toe. All other readings are moot unless you go to a good Frame & Axle shop.

Thanks @inkpot , I suspected that there wasn't much to "align" unless you go to a pro Frame/Axle shop. Toe is the only adjustment that can be made by a tire/alignment shop...

Sounds like my current tires are just old/prone to this uneven wear and poorly treated (i.e. no rotations in 30k miles). Thanks!

Only thing they can adjust is Toe. All other readings are moot unless you go to a good Frame & Axle shop.

This seems like a tire construction issue. As for new tires…

Toe's a start! Will post up a pic of tires inherited from PO.

What else would you look to have frame and axle shop check/adjust?

Checked the tires this evening and they are load range C and the tire code indicates they are from the 28th week of 2012 (i.e. ...2812 are the last four digits of the 11 digit tire code).

Checked the tires this evening and they are load range C and the tire code indicates they are from the 28th week of 2012 (i.e. ...2812 are the last four digits of the 11 digit tire code).

Regardless of what ever DOT limits are officially, these rigs are a bit too big and heavy for a load range C tire, IMHO. Basically, those babies are just plain getting tired, and wearing out.

As a general rule, don't run tires past six years. Mfrs will tell you ten, but then mfrs say you only need to change your oil every 10k... I like Es but Ds may suffice.

Last edited:
Double post deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom