OME lift kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I'm ready to get a new suspension kit for my '84 fj60. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the deluxe OME kit at cruiser outfitters. After talking with Bryce, im not sure which ones would be the best. It's all stock now with 33x12.5 tires ( will be switching to 33x 10.5 eventually). Softer vs harder ride. I won't do any extreme off-roading, but I've read the light kit will sag faster than the heavy duty. Now I'm reading about possibly other better options. BDS, etc.

Any other better/ cost efficient alternatives?

What is recommended so that I don't limit my options in the future... Heavy vs light?

Thanks. I've searched, but it seems so much is years old...

I got a light/medium for my 62.
After loading it up for camping with my family of 4, I added springs to make it heavy all around. Much better when loaded!

Consider how you will use the rig.

The older info on here is still accurate.

Thanks
Is there still a BDS lift? I can't find much about it. I'll be using it for some driving around town, and some camping trips. Gravel fire roads mostly. If I go heavy, how much comfort do you give up when not loaded? Is the heavy more durable overall?

The thickness of the pack (heavy/medium) will be a trade off in ride comfort, load carrying suitability and ability to handle rough roads comfortably. There is no perfect spring pack. If you set it up to ride great on dirt roads with a fully loaded truck (heavies), it'll definitely ride harsher when the truck is empty and driving to work. If you get OMEs, you can't really go wrong. Get either medium or heavy packs and then drive it. If it's too harsh, pull a leaf. If it bottoms out too much (unlikely) add another leaf.

My thought is: you'll KNOW when you need heavies. If you don't know (yet) get mediums.

That sounds like good advice. When you say mediums, is that the light/medium set. Then there's the heavy, and then the extra heavy for like diesel. Correct?

Hi, No towing or really heavy loads and medium will be fine. Mike

I’ve got heavy/heavy on mine and it rides almost as good as my 100.

Thanks
Is there still a BDS lift? I can't find much about it. I'll be using it for some driving around town, and some camping trips. Gravel fire roads mostly. If I go heavy, how much comfort do you give up when not loaded? Is the heavy more durable overall?

I don't know if BDS is still around, if it is avoid it. I have a BDS suspension on a 60 and the front is too stiff.

Cost efficient? Hell Creek is cheaper. Maybe Ironman.

Cheapest for a small lift would be to add extended shackles. Some will say this is no good but it has worked well for me for many years.

But then I'm running 31's. Yes, the rear sags a bit when heavily loaded on family trips but so what? I don't see the problem unless you need a lot of ground clearance.

Tough Dog is another option. I have had both OME (heavy) and now I'm running Tough Dog. I started with the #660 and ended up with the #660-1100 load. I like these better, I do not mind a rougher ride and this is my daily driver. You can hit @reevesci and chat with him. Good luck in your search and choice.

Do you have after market bumpers, or have it otherwise loaded?
I do have aftermarket bumpers but I honestly feel it would ride great with stock bumpers. I didn’t want to wish I’d gotten heavier later and really glad I went with this set up.. leaves can always be removed if needed

Adding my two cents...
I installed a med/med OME setup last year and I'm quite happy with the ride. It may be a touch bumpier than the 25 year old stock suspension it replaced but, certainly not objectional in any way. I originally bought a light/med set then decided to add a leaf to the front for med/med. I'm glad I did. My rig is my daily driver and will eventually get aftermarket bumpers.

I am running 87 60 with medium OME, 33s with a 4x4 labs rear bumper. Went on some green and light blue trails and it flexed the suspension pretty well and it rides excellent on pavement at 65-70. Get the Heavy and remove a leaf, if you need it later you can always add it. Great vendor and they will support you very well.

Heavy/heavy with an arb front bumper and winch, and a rear bumper that is about double stock weight. I like the way it rides at 30# in the tires and my bilstein shocks.

It’s definitely got rake. When I add a few hundred lbs to the back it levels out and rides even nicer.

4215BFC8-E160-43F3-A0F4-60976B76776D.jpeg

I have the medium with an ARB bumper and 10,000 winch. I think it rides great, better than my 2000 Tacoma. Bryce took care of me.

IMG_0141.jpg

Does anyone run a light/med setup on a stock setup? Thoughts about the ride quality?

Another vote for heavy/heavy unless you are just running the truck empty. Might be a little stiff but still better than worn out stock. Even before the ARB bumper and winch it was way better than the worn out stock springs/shocks.

20180711_112153.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom