Left front door speakers not getting signal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I just bought a great little 2001 LC and I'm trying to get it in top shape to drive to Ouray, Co for some Alpine Loop relaxation. The vehicle is equipped with the factory navigation system with the Amp and a Navigation DVD player mounted under the front passenger seat. The problem is that I'm not getting any sound out of the speakers in the driver side front door. I've checked the wires inside the door attached to the speaker (aftermarket Kenwood) and they are attached to the speaker, but no signal is coming from the wires in either the main speaker or tweeter above. The front left speaker wires travel through the Nav DVD player for some reason and the other speakers go direct from the amp to the speakers. I put an old speaker on the violet and pink wires between the Amp and Nav DVD player and I'm getting signal there. I bought a used Nav DVD thinking the problem was inside it, but it didn't change anything. Is there anywhere the wire might likely be unplugged between the DVD player and the driver door?

Howdy and welcome. The navigation uses the front left speaker to give you turn by turn guidance. This was state of the art back in 01' . Now it is outdated. That is why the one speaker is switched through the nav. I left my 2002 EWD at the office. I found this from a 2004. It should give you an idea of what is going on. Looks like there is a junction block near the glove box kick plate. Also the navigation unit could be bad. With this schematic you can check the wires coming from the navigation. This will let you know if the nav unit itself is bad. If it is you can always delete it.
Pre-03 nav delete how-to
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 7.21.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 7.23.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 7.26.03 PM.png

TXSunDevil,
Thanks for the helpful response. I got a little deeper into it and found that the signal was getting thru the Nav DVD player. I phoned a friend (member nissanh) and was advised that these LC's sometimes break wires in the rubber boot serving as a conduit between the car body and door. I pulled the door panel and found that there was a broken speaker wire under all the black tape about 6" inside the door. A quick splice fixed it right up. I have no idea what could have broken that wire inside the door like that. It seemed to be completely unmolested. Thank you, TXSunDevil and nissanh for the help. I'm greatly relieved.

Adding to this, I also found that my '03 LX wasn't signal to the driver's door tweeter or knee high speaker.

I pulled the door card, the woofer speaker at the bottom, this gave me room to disconnect 4 connectors from inside the vehicle and then pull it all back through into the door and out of the woofer speaker hole. That allowed me to be able to unwrap the electrical tape and pull back the boot to find that one of the wires looked to be very cleanly cut (blue with yellow stripe), and another wire to be partially cut (blue with red stripe). Both wires supply the tweeter and knee high speaker, but they woofer speaker on the bottom of the door takes as separate input.

Strangely enough, the wires were twisted around each other, undoing that twist gave me 3/8" overlap that I used to solder the ends back together. With ONLY the speaker wires being damaged, it makes me think that the wires were damaged during production/assembly.

The cut/damage was about 9.5" back from the connector.

20211106_150853.jpg

20211106_151220.jpg

20211106_151817.jpg

Had a similar issue w no power to driver door speaker and tweeter in my 98 100. Pulled the door harness, and found that the speaker wire had severed in the door boot. Soldered back and now good as new, need to work on my soldering though 😂

This thread was a big help.

IMG_9441.jpeg

Adding to this, I also found that my '03 LX wasn't signal to the driver's door tweeter or knee high speaker.

I pulled the door card, the woofer speaker at the bottom, this gave me room to disconnect 4 connectors from inside the vehicle and then pull it all back through into the door and out of the woofer speaker hole. That allowed me to be able to unwrap the electrical tape and pull back the boot to find that one of the wires looked to be very cleanly cut (blue with yellow stripe), and another wire to be partially cut (blue with red stripe). Both wires supply the tweeter and knee high speaker, but they woofer speaker on the bottom of the door takes as separate input.

Strangely enough, the wires were twisted around each other, undoing that twist gave me 3/8" overlap that I used to solder the ends back together. With ONLY the speaker wires being damaged, it makes me think that the wires were damaged during production/assembly.

The cut/damage was about 9.5" back from the connector.

View attachment 2833414

View attachment 2833415

Yo this saved my life I was checking my amp and tracing wires from this old hands free thing the previous owners had and sure enough this was it for me to. I appreciate it!

Guys,

I just bought a great little 2001 LC and I'm trying to get it in top shape to drive to Ouray, Co for some Alpine Loop relaxation. The vehicle is equipped with the factory navigation system with the Amp and a Navigation DVD player mounted under the front passenger seat. The problem is that I'm not getting any sound out of the speakers in the driver side front door. I've checked the wires inside the door attached to the speaker (aftermarket Kenwood) and they are attached to the speaker, but no signal is coming from the wires in either the main speaker or tweeter above. The front left speaker wires travel through the Nav DVD player for some reason and the other speakers go direct from the amp to the speakers. I put an old speaker on the violet and pink wires between the Amp and Nav DVD player and I'm getting signal there. I bought a used Nav DVD thinking the problem was inside it, but it didn't change anything. Is there anywhere the wire might likely be unplugged between the DVD player and the driver door?
Just wanted to say thanks for this post. My NAV DVD Disk had stopped working a couple of years ago, and I pulled it to try and fix. Never put it back, could not figure why drivers door speakers stopped working. Had the AMP tested, checked the speaker wires, etc. Read your post a few times. Put the old NAV DVD player back in - and finally - sound again from driver's door. Music to my ears! Thank you. IH8MUD fabulous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom