Improve Seal on Knuckle Ball? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am tearing into my knuckles, due to a poor seal on the axle (inner seal). I intend to use the Marlin Crawler Double Seal... But that's another subject.

The wipers / felts didn't seal that well either.

As I look at the axle balls, I note the surface could use some work. What's the best way to provide a surface that will give me a (better) seal?

I know I need to get the weld debris off on the back side, but I want to do something to cover the pitting - without removing or replacing the axle housing.

Thanks -

Rocky
DSC01376 (Medium).JPG
DSC01377 (Medium).JPG
DSC01378 (Medium).JPG

Thanks, Eddie -

I plan to remove the "weld balls" on the backside, but agree that taking a grinder to them is not the solution.

Appreciate the lead on the balls, but that's probably a bigger job than I'm ready to tackle.

Rocky

Clean off the rust, your choice of methods, hit with rust reformer paint to treat anything left and top coat with semi gloss black paint where it sits.

Thanks, All - Appreciate the recommendations.

In the late 80's I had to replace the spindle bearings so decided to put new rubber and felt on as well.
I found a large brim felt hat and cut out the pieces.
Then cut up an inner-tube for the rubber.
About three years ago did new brakes and wheel bearings.
The felt and rubber still looked good but figured of I did new felt and rubber then, it might save me the trouble in the next 10 years or so when I am in "MY" 80's
Found another hat and inner-tube.
The hat felt looks heavier than what the kits look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom