strange metallic noise at speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a new to me FJ60 with only 100k miles, and drove it back across the country. I noticed at highway speed something from the engine bay makes a metallic noise. It only occurs in 4th gear around 3000rpm under load, and as soon as i back off the throttle the noise will disappear.

I have attached a video of the noise here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WP2yYispH53dyGHY6

The truck otherwise sounds healthy at idle or accelerating. a compression check revealed 120 across all six.

With that low of mileage it must have sat a lot. Low mileage older vehicles even in great condition can have problems. Lack of use is one of them. Then you take it on a 3,000 mile cross country road trip? Did you have the fluids checked or replaced before the trip? That’s like taking a fat person with no training and having them do a marathon. Fluids break down over time, accumulate moisture, etc.
I could see buying it and changing fluids and slowly bringing it back to everyday use. Driving that motor at 3,000 rpms prolly didn’t help also. My 2F ran at 2500 rpms at 55 mph which back in the 1980’s was pretty good. The H55F Toyota 5 speed significantly lower your highway speed rpms. The video you played has no audio but I could hear your engine/ transmission probably screaming for mercy. Just my .02

Don't hear anything in the video other than the engine running. Could it be pinging/detonation? Any black smoke on startup, gear shifting, etc?

It could be pre-ignition (spark knock). Any idea what the timing is set to? Did you drive from a high-elevation location to a sea level location?

If it's indeed spark knock, you don't want to drive it far under that condition. You might also pull the plugs and see how they look (oil contaminated, burnt, worn out, etc.)

It could be pre-ignition (spark knock). Any idea what the timing is set to? Did you drive from a high-elevation location to a sea level location?

If it's indeed spark knock, you don't want to drive it far under that condition. You might also pull the plugs and see how they look (oil contaminated, burnt, worn out, etc.)
I did drive it from high elevation to sea level location, and I have no idea what timing is set to. I will bring it to a mechanic to get it checked, I believe it also needs a new timing belt since the original probably hasn't been replaced

Check your fan shroud or heat shields!
Also possibly torn exhaust cushions.
Motor sounds like it should.

In all seriousness, 120 is on the low side but at least they are even. Make sure the valves are adjusted properly. The video sounds like pre-detonation. Probably from advanced spark timing due to the altitude change. You can do this work yourself if you have any mechanical inclination.

There is no timing belt.

Yeah was just going to suggest that you go through the normal "new" vehicle checks and balances.
- New oil filter
- new oil
- new plugs
- new wires
- new cap
- new rotor
- set timing and adjust idle
- change all other fluids (diffs, tranny, t-case)
- adjust valve lash

Everything is well documented here and is a :banana: job at hardest. This will also help to familiarize yourself with the truck. If you plan on only ever taking it to a mechanic to have work done, you purchased the wrong type of vehicle for that (sorry to say and not trying to be a d1ck).

In all seriousness, 120 is on the low side but at least they are even.

120 is acceptable at higher elevations (7000'), but not as good at sea level.

my 120 was done without pressing the gas pedal down, I heard WOT will bump up the reading more, dont know if thats true

The fact that it was even across all six is the important part. How you did your test could vary the results. Was the engine at operating temps?
Dry test or wet test? did you record the difference between the first crank puff and the final and compare the difference?
Compression tests are supposed to be done WOT. A closed throttle plate will most likely give you lower readings
You're probably fine with the compression considering that I suspect your test procedure were a little flawed

Interesting you just made this thread. I’m currently thinking of buying an 83 FJ60 at work with 122k. I drove it home the other day and it makes the exact same noise. I briefly got under it with a stethoscope and think it’s coming from the bellhousing area. I was thinking maybe one of the clutch disc springs has come loose, but haven’t pulled the inspection cover to verify or look into it further. Keep us posted if you figure anything out.

@BlackCat , Being 60 , my ears aren't what they once were so I couldn't hear much from the videos but if it's coning from the bellhousing
my first assumptions would be pilot or release bearings. Sometimes a release bearing noise will change when you depress the clutch. It's very possible at 120k it's on it's original clutch, especially if it didn't see a lot of wheeling

@BlackCat , Being 60 , my ears aren't what they once were so I couldn't hear much from the videos but if it's coning from the bellhousing
my first assumptions would be pilot or release bearings. Sometimes a release bearing noise will change when you depress the clutch. It's very possible at 120k it's on it's original clutch, especially if it didn't see a lot of wheeling
I guess anything is possible, but yes, it goes away with the clutch depressed. It doesn’t have the typical release bearing chirp, but bearings can make all kinds of different noises. Plus if it was one of those, you’d think it’d do it all the time, not just at higher speeds. I don’t know, It’s just speculation until I can diagnose it further.

Sometimes the fingers will skate across the release bearing as it dries out and becomes more resistant to spinning freely. That will cause a more intermittent noise. pilots tend to make noise all the time. I've had dry release bearing come through that make more of a rattling noise than anything else adn quiet down when you press the pedal. If it's the original clutch, 120,000 is about all you can expect with gentle to moderate use.

Sometimes the fingers will skate across the release bearing as it dries out and becomes more resistant to spinning freely. That will cause a more intermittent noise. pilots tend to make noise all the time. I've had dry release bearing come through that make more of a rattling noise than anything else adn quiet down when you press the pedal. If it's the original clutch, 120,000 is about all you can expect with gentle to moderate use.
Hopefully it’s that easy. That’s one of the reasons I haven’t bought it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom