Maaco painting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I may not get any positives out of this, but I would like to know if anyone has heard of some "positive" paint experience from Maaco? I only need to get my rig's hood and roof painted due to chipped clearcoat, body shop wants about $1000, which I think is a bit much just for that work. Any comments?
Thanks!

How much do you love your truck? And what condition is the rest of the vehicle in?

If it’s a clean truck that you plan on keeping for several years, I would just cough up the dough and do it the right way. There’s a reason Maaco has the reputation they do.

a thousand bucks to shoot a hood and a roof is a very fair price in my mind. I recently had a dent in the left door on my BJ74 repaired and that cost me 700 bucks. A lot less paint work as the door area was about 2/3 the area of a 100 Series hood.

Price seems fair to me for quality work.

Chipped clearcoat on the roof? What is it that they are going to do for $1,000? Can you post a picture? I'm nothing but questions.

Roof and hood are easily $500 per section so the quote is reasonable. Prob $300 in paint, $75 in other materials and the remainder is labor.

Dont cheap out on paint- or you’ll likely be paying again not too far down the road.

How much does Maaco want? I’m sure they have different levels of paint/ quality. I have not considered them myself but would be interested to know what the difference in price would be.

I think I may not get any positives out of this, but I would like to know if anyone has heard of some "positive" paint experience from Maaco? I only need to get my rig's hood and roof painted due to chipped clearcoat, body shop wants about $1000, which I think is a bit much just for that work. Any comments?
Thanks!

I thought this Macco Themed Video was both interesting & informative

@landarcht are U planning on doing your own prep work such as sanding off your old clear coat ?

Please post some photos of your current paint state & condition , It seams Macco will work with the do-it-your-self-er

it also seams getting a warranty is the big question ?

Body work isn't cheap, and getting good quality work makes it even more expensive. I recently went to look at a used 2005 with a friend of mine which had the front fender replaced and repainted. The owner didn't disclose anything about it, but it was apparent it was repainted as the quality of work was pretty pathetic. Orange peel and sanding marks everywhere.

Depending on what Maaco package you buy determines a lot of what you get. From what I've heard the cheapest rate is just a single-stage paint with no clearcoat.

Plus, if you plan on sanding, taping, disassembling, and prepping yourself, they might be a viable economical option, but I'd personally never go there myself.

It's not just the paint job but the prep work, and the work done after the paintwork has been done. Things like wetsanding any orange peel or dirt particles out of the finish to level it and doing a final buff and polish. They seem to miss the boat there at Maaco when it comes to these things.

I had a customer that had a hood done there and came to me comllaining of thrack of shine and depth to the finish. Long story short, I had to wetsand the entire hood, and buff and polish it to get it to any decent standards. That and the color didn't match along with some obvious tape lines on the body (they painted it ON the car vs is taking it off).

As others have mentioned, it depends on what condition your truck is in, and how much money you want to put into it.

Last edited:
Looks like it's an unanimous no for Maaco, they wanted about $700 for their top tier job. I will go w/ a reputable body shop.

Have you looked them up online for any reviews that have been left on Yelp, Google+, etc? This would be where I would go to figure out what kind of a shop they are. So oftentimes it is the employees that can be the difference between locations.

Skip Maaco! I had a old BMW painted with their premium offering of paint and clear, and it was good for 4 - 5 years tops. Use a reputed body shop, and it will last a lot longer. My 2001 had a fender hit in 2005 by a shopping cart - had it done professionally and even today it looks exactly like the rest of the car.

This is the hood and roof part behind above the windshield where clearcoat chipped off and I need to get this taken care of. Rest of the body are in good condition.

upload_2018-8-25_10-54-16.png

upload_2018-8-25_10-54-44.png

I have had the same issues but I am thinking Monstaliner , hood and roof.. Anyone do just these areas ?

2nd that, don’t cheap out on paint job. A good quality paint job is worth it if you plan to keep the truck. I am looking to paint my 97 80, will cost me about $5-$6k.

Go make friends with the token Jamaican guy that paints cars in the not so nice industrial park. Had my track car painted by him for something under $2k using house of kolor material and 4 coats of clear and it looked better than OEM, minus the random specs of pot ash contamination in one of the stages. :rofl: Solid option for the money.

There's good guys out there, just gotta find them.

Line-X did my roof for $400. I was "fixing" the sunroof and covering paint trashed by the GA sun. It makes the truck a lot quieter. I'm happy with it.

Yeah I was surprised how much I liked the look for a relatively cheap finish option.

2E86FF9D-B8A7-45CA-BE76-EB4DAA900436.jpeg

This is the hood and roof part behind above the windshield where clearcoat chipped off and I need to get this taken care of. Rest of the body are in good condition.

That color looks like it might be Smoky Topaz Mica?

IF so...it is known have severe base coat fade (not just clear coat peel). It would have to be sanded down to the original primer (if still good). Personally, I would take it down to bare metal, re-prime, basecoat, sand then... clear-coat, cut and buff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom