OME BP51 or ICON Stage 2 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know nothing about the rebuilding process or at what mileage intervals are suggested for the BP51's. I asked the same question to Kurt @cruiseroutfit the other day. Hopefully he can share in detail about that.

Anything less than three year old would qualify for a warranty replacement. Fwiw my personal BP-51's are some or the oldest on the road in the US still tight and loving them.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) will be continuing to train and will stock parts to be able to rebuild the BP-51's we sell. I attended a training session with just a handful of other vendors (Slee was there too) earlier this year to discuss this very issue, they are working on setting up rebuilders throughout the nation but I wouldn't expect every ARB retailer or even 1 in 50 to be set up or trained to rebuild in-house. ARB (and we too) are tracking the serial numbers of all our BP-51 sales and will continue to do so for warranty and future rebuilds. Parts will change and that allows us to keep/order the parts needed for our customers.

Thank you for the info @cruiseroutfit - very helpful! I will definitely touch base with you if I decide to go the BP-51 route.

I reached out to Kurt and he was very helpful. I went to my local shop and they will only install products they sell so I will have to buy from them. I decided not to try to do the job myself.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:
Hey guys
I am getting a OME BP51 kit for my 2013 LC200. What is the maximum size of tyres I could use without having any rubbing, etc?
Also do you know what is the maximum tyre size that would fit in the spare wheel space underneath the rear/trunk?
Tks for your help!

Hey guys
I am getting a OME BP51 kit for my 2013 LC200. What is the maximum size of tyres I could use without having any rubbing, etc?
Also do you know what is the maximum tyre size that would fit in the spare wheel space underneath the rear/trunk?
Tks for your help!
I'll just comment on the maximum tire size you can fit on the ground. It's whatever you can fit right now. A lift doesn't buy you tire clearance, it buys you time until your tire runs into another component.

If anything, putting a larger tire on a stock suspension is a great way to test your larger tires under what will be a compressed coil when off road. If you want to add clearance for an even larger tire than what fits under stock suspension, you'll need to extend your bump stops and limit up travel (which I'm not a fan of).

But some questions for you:
1) do you have aftermarket bumpers
2) what wheel are you using
3) do you plan to off road (and flex the suspension) or will this be a nice looking on road truck?

I'll just comment on the maximum tire size you can fit on the ground. It's whatever you can fit right now. A lift doesn't buy you tire clearance, it buys you time until your tire runs into another component.

If anything, putting a larger tire on a stock suspension is a great way to test your larger tires under what will be a compressed coil when off road. If you want to add clearance for an even larger tire than what fits under stock suspension, you'll need to extend your bump stops and limit up travel (which I'm not a fan of).

But some questions for you:
1) do you have aftermarket bumpers
2) what wheel are you using
3) do you plan to off road (and flex the suspension) or will this be a nice looking on road truck?

Thanks.
1) still have the oem bumpers but plan to change them to aftermarket as they don’t give enough clearance and clearly will get damaged when off-roading
2) still using oem 18” wheels
3) yes, i do off-road. Otherwise wouldn’t spend money on a bp51 kit. I am in Peru where you drive in the dunes above 100 km/hr (for which stock suspension is awful) but also in very muddy trails in the jungle and rocky trails in the highlands....

Currently using mickey thompson 31” but need to change them and with the new suspension was considering to go to 32 or 33” KO2...

Thanks.
1) still have the oem bumpers but plan to change them to aftermarket as they don’t give enough clearance and clearly will get damaged when off-roading
2) still using oem 18” wheels
3) yes, i do off-road. Otherwise wouldn’t spend money on a bp51 kit. I am in Peru where you drive in the dunes above 100 km/hr (for which stock suspension is awful) but also in very muddy trails in the jungle and rocky trails in the highlands....

Currently using mickey thompson 31” but need to change them and with the new suspension was considering to go to 32 or 33” KO2...
To go with your requirement if no rub, 285/65r18. That’s a 1” larger diameter from stock and will definitely fit.

Bumping an old thread

I just added an Alu-Cab RTT. It handles fine on the highway, but I can feel the sway a bit in turns

Christo recommended switching from the OMEs to BP51s. I wanted to know how hard it is to change the setting and he told me if set right, I wouldnt have to adjust with the RTT on vs off

I was wondering about the rebuild and how frequent that is and see if someone on here has put an RTT on the top and noticed the difference

Bumping an old thread

I just added an Alu-Cab RTT. It handles fine on the highway, but I can feel the sway a bit in turns

Christo recommended switching from the OMEs to BP51s. I wanted to know how hard it is to change the setting and he told me if set right, I wouldnt have to adjust with the RTT on vs off

I was wondering about the rebuild and how frequent that is and see if someone on here has put an RTT on the top and noticed the difference

My BPs have around 50k on the clock pretty much entirely with a relatively heavy truck with RTT up top. No signs of leaking, noise, or reduced performance, yet, but I'm expecting to need to do something at some point? I haven't heard of any rebuilds on them, yet.

I never adjusted the BPs based on whether the tent was on or not but I did based on how much extra weight I carried for a trip. Adjusting them is a minor annoyance.

My BPs have around 50k on the clock pretty much entirely with a relatively heavy truck with RTT up top. No signs of leaking, noise, or reduced performance, yet, but I'm expecting to need to do something at some point? I haven't heard of any rebuilds on them, yet.

I never adjusted the BPs based on whether the tent was on or not but I did based on how much extra weight I carried for a trip. Adjusting them is a minor annoyance.

Thanks Cole. Did the BP51s make a difference in the sway? Like I posted not a big deal, but noticeable. I am happy with my basic OMEs, but do always want to improve performance if it would help with the big RTT
IMG_0024.jpg

Thanks Cole. Did the BP51s make a difference in the sway? Like I posted not a big deal, but noticeable. I am happy with my basic OMEs, but do always want to improve performance if it would help with the big RTT
View attachment 2133404

Howdy ken. We have fairy similar builds. When I have cans and a rtt on my Gamiviti, I add a notch of Comp and Rebound and can tell the difference. I’d say play with it in small increments.

Edit
Whoops misread. I would think the adjustability would make a good difference. They are overall a better shock in all conditions.

View attachment 2133404

I would echo Cole’s experience with BPs.
They have been phenomenal in literally ever condition I’ve thrown at them.

About comp & rebound... I set those to match weight of my coils and then leave them alone.

Sway... I claim no expertise, but I am convinced that the best way to control sway is with heavier rear coils. Compression and rebounds aren’t really going to help with the slow rocking of sway, IMO, but heavier coils will.

Recently I experimented with some lighter coils...and IMMEDIATELY I was feeling sway and roll. The answer wasn’t my comp/rebound, but bumping my coil weight upward.

Highly recommend the BP regardless, but when you do bump up the coils...bump the compression & especially rebound on the BP’s (if you get them). But to me, it’s more about adding enough rebound dampening to handle how powerfully the heavier coils will bounce you on moguls without it.

Howdy ken. We have fairy similar builds. When I have cans and a rtt on my Gamiviti, I add a notch of Comp and Rebound and can tell the difference. I’d say play with it in small increments.

Edit
Whoops misread. I would think the adjustability would make a good difference. They are overall a better shock in all conditions.

Is this the one use to be known as FJBen? Long time no talk to

I would echo Cole’s experience with BPs.
They have been phenomenal in literally ever condition I’ve thrown at them.

About comp & rebound... I set those to match weight of my coils and then leave them alone.

Sway... I claim no expertise, but I am convinced that the best way to control sway is with heavier rear coils. Compression and rebounds aren’t really going to help with the slow rocking of sway, IMO, but heavier coils will.

Recently I experimented with some lighter coils...and IMMEDIATELY I was feeling sway and roll. The answer wasn’t my comp/rebound, but bumping my coil weight upward.

Highly recommend the BP regardless, but when you do bump up the coils...bump the compression & especially rebound on the BP’s (if you get them). But to me, it’s more about adding enough rebound dampening to handle how powerfully the heavier coils will bounce you on moguls without it.

I did just put in heavier rear coils, OME2724's

Fwiw I believe I have/had some of the oldest US sets of BP-51’s on my 200, installed in 2015. I just swapped a units in as prep for a big Mexico trip this next week. Old front shocks showed some signs of weeping at the seals (minor and likely within spec) and they still functioned great. The rears were swapped out earlier in the year. Still in love!

I did just put in heavier rear coils, OME2724's

Dang.
I had 2725’s on for a while, but they were too harsh. Still have em in the garage if you wanna give em a try.

Or maybe talk to Cole about the remote-adjustable air bags he added when he had springs that were a little mushy like mine were.

Maybe it’s just a tough order to compensate for that high tent weight... :-/

The 2724s are probably a good fit for your build. I'd try those for a while. I went with the airbags mainly for towing and they've actually been amazing. They're kind of a complicated solution since I wanted to control them from the cab.

Back to your question... I can't really offer a comparison pre/post BP-51 (I actually had the regular OME setup before) because I had a lot changing all at once... springs, vehicle weight, other mods.

I'd agree with Jackson that you'll have a bit more control over the handling/roll by adjusting the BPs though you're still going to feel the tent up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom