Brake and Turn Signal electrical gremlin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

87warrior

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
SILVER Star
Threads
My 99 has developed a fun electrical gremlin. When I apply the brakes or use the left turn signal, the instrument panel lighting illuminates. Since the behavior is difficult to explain, I have attached a video of what is going on:

I have experience with poor grounding on trailers and corroded lamp sockets on Jeeps that have produced similar behavior, but I've never had that cause issues inside the cabin.

Here are a few things I have done that may weigh in on the root of the problem:
- I converted the dash lights to LED 3 years ago
- I installed a plug and play Curt trailer wiring kit last year
- It finally started to rain in Kansas and I first noticed the odd behavior when driving through rain
- My sunroof has leaked and is currently sealed up with Gorilla tape

I need some guidance to start troubleshooting this.

I had a similar problem.
It was the electrical connection for the trailer hitch. Removed it and voilá. No more issues.

I swear to God I just came here to type this EXACT issue I'm having in my 98 that started today. It must be the moon cycle. I'll do what @Leandro said right now. Where is that connection by the way lol...

Where is that connection by the way lol...

Mine is in the trash LOL

Mine was an aftermarket, can't remember the brand. Basically followed the cables until I found the little box. It was behind the rear bumper, passenger side.

I had a bad ground on my trailer and it caused this problem. I assume if nothing is plugged in then you have a bad ground in the trailer wires under the truck.

So. I found my issue. Trailer wiring harness had a bad ground... And almost caught fire. I'm very lucky to have gotten home in time to get this. I can't seem to get the connector unplugged can someone give me a tip on that... Thanks.

20180816_194209.jpg

20180816_194211.jpg

I unplugged the trailer harness converter this evening. Everything went back to normal! I'll investigate the ground, but I am worried the converter is bad.

Is there a reliable trailer harness converter available for the 100?

I'm glad you guys found the issue, that drove me crazy for a couple of weeks until I found it
Also, I blown the brake light fuse twice so had to manually unlock the gear selector.

I've been helped so many times by this forum that is nice to contribute back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom