FJ62 Fan Clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just want to make sure I'm replacing the right part here...

I was offroading on my way to Toquerville Falls, UT today. 100 Degrees, very slow going over sharp rocks uphill, AC on in certain areas since my wife/daughter were with me and the engine naturally got pretty hot.
Cooling system is fine in general, all fairly new parts and coolant is about 1 month old.

But the fan clutch doesn't seem to engage into "2nd" gear or lock-up anymore and I never hear it ROAR.

Its also making a high pitch sound when its really hot, or at least I think thats what is making the sound.

When the engine is cold and I start it in the morning it also doesn't engage for 20 sec or so like it used to.

But! If I stick a newspaper in the blades, it will shred it to pieces.

Does this all add up to getting a new fan clutch? Or would checking/refilling the fluid be a first thing to check?

Thanks guys

20180602_154411.jpg

Hi, Best answer,probably. Also could be radiator. Mike

Had some issues last month on my trip to southern Utah.
Overheating. Changed fan clutch in Twin Falls Idaho,, radiator cap in Wells Nevada. JB Weld on the riser for the fill cap on the radiator in Utah.
Did the NAPA tour down there. No more overheating issues since the fixes.
Trip home was 2200km.
PS i used a T-100 Toyota truck fan clutch, a little bigger than the 60 series fan clutch

I don’t know, to me it seems like if it shreds the newspaper it’s locked up. But if it’s never been replaced, it could be bad. Beware however, the new one I bought didn’t roar and had half the correct amount of oil in it. It’s really easy to drain and refill your original one. And there are lots of posts about doing it. If you are running around in 100 degree frequently, try the 10,000 cst oil from Toyota. I don’t think they stock it so just plan for it.

One thing to be aware of if you replace the oil is the oring will stretch if you let it come out of the groove it lies in, so make sure to keep it tucked in there.

The whine could be from your water pump, or I’ve had a high pitched whine that always turns out to be a bad air pump. Does the 62 have an air pump?

Anyway, to rule out the water pump, while it’s running or immediately after you’ve shut it off, look at the weep hole on the bottom and make sure it isn’t leaking anti freeze.

Also, I had an after market champion radiator that I believe was never working very well, and finally gave up the ghost after less than 10,000 miles (more likely 6k). My engine always seemed slightly warmer than it should and may have overheated under the conditions you’re describing, but only overheated once while at he smog station.

What temp did you get up to?

Thanks @Michael Hanson . Its not in great shape the radiator, it has a minuscule leak and is about 50K old. But with normal on-road driving + AC in 100 degrees I usually won't get hotter than 200-205.

Nice trip @Rugy ! did that T-100 fan clutch bolt straight in?

@evilorgoodtwin, thanks for above. I replaced the waterpump about 20K ago or so, no leaks or anything.
The high pitch sound started as soon as I got to the hot weather here a couple of weeks ago, having a hard time locating it even with a long screwdriver to my ear. I ruled out the Airpump and most other pulleys, although it could be one of the idlers.

Perhaps an exhaust manifold leak? Sometimes it sounds like a turbo, sometimes it goes away at idle, or when I touch the gas pedal.
But the sound only shows up when its hot out and the engine gets hot. I'm guessing something dried out, but its loud... probably over 90db on the manifold side of the engine.

The fan clutch used to make quite alot of noise when it locked-up and pushing a lot more air, which would be useful on slow offroad climbs....

Going by below image, I probably got it to 230 degrees before really trying to bring it down.

image.jpeg

Hi @FJ Silver, trying to gather info on which fan clutch to use on my 60 with a stock 2f.

Did you use the T-100 fan clutch or possibly go with the Aqua FCT 049? Any thought/tips would be appreciated.

Hi John,
Hope you made it to the Solid Axle event, or are you still working out the kinks after the rebuild?

I haven't tried the Aisin 049 yet or any others... My fan clutch is basically spinning at one speed but as long as its not hotter than 110 the rest of the cooling system is working sufficiently well to keep temp under control.
So my reasoning is that when it does start to overheat on hotter days, or when climbing mountains in that heat its because of the Fan Clutch not giving that extra cooling boost and not the other parts.
How badly is yours overheating? I'm sure its been hot around Big Pine. Is it running way hotter than 2 mountain fish his 60?
Did you try the 049 yourself and it's not cutting it? If so, to me that would indicate some other cooling component not keeping up, but I know you know your stuff.

Thanks @FJ Silver, yep made it to SAS, the rebuilt 2f preformed great and we had a terrific time.

Mine doesn't overheat when wheeling at all but with the A/C on, and on very long hiway grades it gets hotter than I'd like. Turning off the A/C until I get to the top always solves the issue.

The radiator is in good shape, and all the other cooling components are new with the engine rebuild. At the rebuild I installed a new red FCT 017 stock fan clutch and I'm thinking it's not up to the task. It NEVER roars and before the engine rebuild I never, ever had a overheating issue.

Today I'm installing the Aqua FJ 80 FCT 049 fan clutch hoping that will make a difference. Just wondering if you or anyone else could comment on the FCT 049 performance.

Indio eh?? Gets plenty hot there!

Last edited:
Glad you made it to SAS, saw some pictures and it looks like an amazing event.

Yeah I see what you're saying, I'm the same boat around heating up with the AC on.
I think you'll do well with that 049 clutch and you could experiment with a different fluid weight if its kicking in too late.
I'm thinking of getting the same clutch and find a way to install a AC condenser fan as well to get some cold air when going slow.

Insanely hot here... many days around 120, happy we're leaving soon.
Looks like we'll be in Guadalajara, Mexico for a couple of months (work think), even thinking of driving there with the cruiser.
And then finally of to Klamaths Falls.
Hope you're happy with the rebuilt! gotta feel good.

Just finished the 049 install (removed the 017 last evening). Won't be able to start/test drive until later in the day, waiting on one more Amazon shipment that's due this afternoon. Will report back my results.

Hi, Personally The green aisin with 10,000 oil is working in the 103 temps here with ac on and idling. Even a brand new Aisin fan was not enough with over 100 temps. Mike

Green fan installed today and it passes the test. My analog temp gauge won't be working until next week, so I only have the stock gauge to compare. But according to @FJ Silver collection of temps in his post 5, today I was between 205-210 whereas with my 1 year old stock FCT 017 I would be between 210-225 depending on variables.

Today was 97* ambient & the test was on the freeway, 10 mile long 6% grade going from 4K to 7k elevation. From what I've read it will be even better if I put in some 10k oil. It's still hot here, but summer is 'almost' over, so will likely run it as is and put heavier oil in next year, if needed. Maybe sooner, we'll see. Next week my new sending unit for my VDO analog gauge will be here so I will have a more accurate read on if I really need the heavier stuff or not.

But long story short: my fj60 runs much cooler with the fj80 Aqua fan clutch FCT 049 than with the 1 year old stock FCT 017 fan clutch. $120 from Rock Auto.

EDIT: using new OEM 190* t-stat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom