Transmission Lag After Hard Braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 FZJ80
I noticed on a road trip a few weeks ago that after hard braking (almost enough to kick in ABS), the transmission seems to lag. I thought nothing of it until yesterday another Seattle idiot cut me off and i had to slam my brakes again to stop.
The RPMs go up, then all of a sudden it catches like i just floored it off the line.
I tried playing around with this and found that if i stop aggressively, then wait a few seconds there is so slip or lag.
Has anyone experienced this?
Going to check fluid levels after my commute home and ATF is hot, but last time i checked they seemed good.

Sounds to me like sticking brake calipers that are finally releasing after you re applying throttle. Or a failing master cylinder.

Mine sometimes does this. I don’t think that it is dropping all the way down to first. If I let off the gas for a second and then get back on it it figures it out.

My '97 with the A343F and about 270k does something similar, but not after hard braking. Usually in 2nd gear- but is not limited to just 2nd- when slowing down for a speed bump, when I roll back on the throttle, there's a 300-400 RPM rise in revs, then it catches and drops back down and goes. It's almost like a flare on an upshift, or an exaggeration of the lock up clutch disconnecting and reconnecting behavior when off-on the gas on the highway. My fluid is fresh and full, and the tranny otherwise operates normally. The nearest I can gather is that what I have may be a failing torque converter, but I'm very dubious because that's a very, very rare thing to have happen on these. I've driven three other local A343F- equipped Cruisers that didn't exhibit this behavior.

I know this isn't much help, if at all, but I hope you find the solution to your problem. An alternative would be a dash cam and a beefy bumper and start letting these idiots get rear ended. :)

My '97 with the A343F and about 270k does something similar, but not after hard braking. Usually in 2nd gear- but is not limited to just 2nd- when slowing down for a speed bump, when I roll back on the throttle, there's a 300-400 RPM rise in revs, then it catches and drops back down and goes. It's almost like a flare on an upshift, or an exaggeration of the lock up clutch disconnecting and reconnecting behavior when off-on the gas on the highway. My fluid is fresh and full, and the tranny otherwise operates normally. The nearest I can gather is that what I have may be a failing torque converter, but I'm very dubious because that's a very, very rare thing to have happen on these. I've driven three other local A343F- equipped Cruisers that didn't exhibit this behavior.

I know this isn't much help, if at all, but I hope you find the solution to your problem. An alternative would be a dash cam and a beefy bumper and start letting these idiots get rear ended. :)

That's interesting. I am having similar issues. Fluid in mine is also clean and good.
Have you had your trans out recently in it or was it ever taken out/serviced?
I just rebuilt my motor and had it out of the truck. Makes me wonder if i screwed up the TC somehow, but i only temporarily removed it to change the input seal and then put it back on with no ATF loss.

Hi, I would also say sticking brake cylinders, and or transmission fluid to high or to low,transmission filter stopped up, valve body on transmission has crud in it. Mike

That's interesting. I am having similar issues. Fluid in mine is also clean and good.
Have you had your trans out recently in it or was it ever taken out/serviced?
I just rebuilt my motor and had it out of the truck. Makes me wonder if i screwed up the TC somehow, but i only temporarily removed it to change the input seal and then put it back on with no ATF loss.

It's very subtle and I didn't notice it when I test drove it. In fact, I didn't notice it for the first month or so of ownership. I do know that the plastic access panel was missing, which makes me think the PO may have had the tranny out, but I haven't. It was about 1.5 quarts low on fluid when I got it, though. But the bellhousing bolts don't look touched and the plastic access cover could have fallen out. When I installed a new cover, I looked very closely at what I could see through the hole, and nothing looked out of place, wet, or cause for any concern. It's on my list of stuff to deal with, but it's almost at the bottom.

Is the "kick down" cable properly/optimally adjusted, working correctly? If not can cause slipping.

My 80 has never had the engine out nor the trans and does this. It's at 320,000 and only does this hiccup right after a panic brake coming to an almost stop. To me it's almost as if the transmission is wanting to downshift into first, but seems confused or is is just a bit delayed. It also did this before and after I deleted the ABS module in case anyone wants to know more data points.

I noticed this a few months after I purchased the 80 as someone pulled out in front of me. I am able to replicate the issue easily as I was diagnosing my weak brakes from a bad ABS module. So in my case this is not brake related as my entire system is brand new (minus the ABS) and my transmission has been serviced a few times since I purchased with OEM Dex4 fluid as well as my fluid change to Dex6. Everything works great and cables are adjusted properly. I believe it's just an old boat anchor of a 4-speed transmission from Toyota and nothing to worry about. Drive it like it was designed and avoid autocross events?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom