FJ80 birfield grinding (solved) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I replaced my axles and rebuilt everything on the knuckle. When I did the bearings on the steering knuckle, I put the shims back as they were. This was about three years ago. I recently heard a rubbing on hard right hand turns, so I pulled the knuckle apart. I thought it would be the brass bushing on the knuckle spindle, but it looked fine. On further inspection, I found the outside of the spindle joint on the half shaft was rubbing on the top steering knuckle bearing. Any ideas why, and how I remedy this?
Sorry for the awkward description, that is the best I could do. I updated and put pics in post #5.
I didn't notice any slop in the knuckle and there were no loose bolts anywhere when I disassembled it.
Not sure if this matters, but I had the differential rebuilt about 6,000 miles ago.

See post 18 for explanation.

Last edited:
Pix would help understand. So, the bell of the Birf is so high up inside the knuckle housing that it rubs the bottom of the trunion bearing? Are the trunion bearing cap bolts all still tight to spec: 72 #ft, IIRC.

Pix would help understand. So, the bell of the Birf is so high up inside the knuckle housing that it rubs the bottom of the trunion bearing? Are the trunion bearing cap bolts all still tight to spec: 72 #ft, IIRC.
Yes, what you said is correct.

IMG_3817.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG

Does this help?

Never seen an injury like this but Inkpot did not need to see it.

so what’s up; CauseCorrectionRepair/replace?

:popcorn:

Never seen an injury like this but Inkpot did not need to see it.

so what’s up; CauseCorrectionRepair/replace?

:popcorn:
I have no idea what caused it or what to do... that is why I'm here, to find out what the consensus is.

honestly i would replace the front housing. that looks bad...

looks like maybe the center block in the diff didn't get put back in on your diff rebuild allowing your birf and axle to move further into the housing...

at this point, you are not that far from being able to pull out the diff and take a look. your housing should be fine as long as you clean it up really well to make sure there aren't any shavings around cause any more damage.

Bear in mind that that article is for a Hilux/60/40 series but the birfield/axle setup is the same as our rigs.. Just a smaller bell on the berf for the Hilux/60/40 series.

Missing the inner clip on the half shaft, allowing the bell to move inward, and/or missing the clip on the drive plate?

interesting. I have the same damage to my knuck ball under the top trunion. Saw another dude with it to. Neither of us had birfs damage like that however. Soooo either po's replaced birfs because the birf was wearing on the top and replaced our birfs or somehow that metal got real and chipped from stress idk. For what it's worth I flipped my birfs and am riding it out with the knuck damage. Seems fine right now. About 2k now after full rebuild.

My first thought was a bent housing.

Looking at the inner seal, it is heavily worn to one side, indicating it is being pushed.

I think @inkpot and @mderrick may be onto something about missing clips / blocks on the rebuild.

There is also a "guide" in behind the inner seal that helps align the axle for installation that helps keep wear off the inner seal for the install of the axle shaft. Is that guide still in its correct place or is it sideways, making the axle sit off to one side?

Those do NOT look like factory birfs with the extra lip on the outside. There may be enough lip there that it causes interference.

Also, very loose wheel bearings can cause the axle to ride differently inside the bell because the outer end of the spindle is not supported properly. Were your wheel bearing loose when you pulled it apart (regardless of the fact that the front end was rebuilt 6K ago.....My WB loosened up in 5K, so I had to follow the Tools R Us format of WB adjustment).

Mystery solved! The outer hub splines on the '93-'94.5 were about an inch long. '94.5 and up were about an inch and 3/8" long. The old axles were discontinued as I understand it, so my axle was wandering.
IMG_5937.jpg

interesting. I have the same damage to my knuck ball under the top trunion. Saw another dude with it to. Neither of us had birfs damage like that however. Soooo either po's replaced birfs because the birf was wearing on the top and replaced our birfs or somehow that metal got real and chipped from stress idk. For what it's worth I flipped my birfs and am riding it out with the knuck damage. Seems fine right now. About 2k now after full rebuild.
Take a look at post 18. It might be your issue as well. Mine was intermittent for a few years, not sure why it was intermittent though.

Usually running newer birds in older rigs results in the grease cap getting knocked off pretty often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom