Bought my first hundy today in NC. '01 LX 470, no nav, no rust. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
Guys and gals, after a lot of lurking and then finally joining here and asking a million questions, I brought back home my first 100. 2001 LX 470, 170k miles, non-nav ML stereo, no rust (was a CA car until 2 yrs ago).

I owe you all some favors for helping me to find the answers to my questions. Too many other forums I've been on are frankly filled with entitled a-holes who enjoy making people miserable. So thanks for getting me into my first hundy with some confidence. I drove 4.5 hours to get this. Even had the guy do the AHC test beforehand and the level changed 9-10 tick marks between high and low.

I've never had a LC or LX before and only had one SUV previously. I was sold on the 100-series as a reasonably modern good value and one of the few vehicles that is built like a bank vault. I loved the split tailgate on my old XC90 and I love it on the 100. Looking at all the people here with 100s between 250-300k miles was comforting. You can buy any old SUV and dump money into it by replacing misc. electrical sensors and stuff, but what's the point if the engine/trans is going to s*** the bed at 150k?

I tested every single button, feature, etc before I bought the car. Front and rear AC/heat. I climbed underneath and saw no leaks, rust or damage. I think one of the inner CV boots is getting surface cracks from age and I'll replace it. The only thing outright mechanically wrong with it was a burned out driver's side headlight bulb (oh, the horror). Even the freaking old-school motorized antenna still goes completely up and down (WTF?). I'm not sure if the subwoofer works or not, but since it's non-nav I'm just going to eventually do a full aftermarket audio rework and therefore I don't really care.

Anyway, I need to baseline this truck... it's important to get over the excitement and strategize how I'm going to do this.

First thing, TIMING BELT, period. Water pump, rollers, tensioner, coolant, etc. After that, the heater T couplings (one looks gross, so I know it's definitely due and I'm also pleased that they are old which means this truck probably never overheated). AHC fluid in the reservoir is dark so I need to bleed that. Tranny fluid actually looked good, but I don't have a record of it, so THROW IT ON THE PILE WITH THE OTHERS.

Last edited:
Congrats on the rig!!! Guess you won't be doing the nav delete :) If you are trying to post photos hit the "Upload File" down below in the Orange Rectangular Box. You can add up to five at a time.

IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg
IMG_2570.jpg
IMG_2573.jpg
IMG_2584.jpg

Congrats on the rig!!! Guess you won't be doing the nav delete :)

Yep, the other LX I was interested in seemed like a good catch as well but it had the pre-03 nav. Kind of glad I don't need to deal with that even if it's possible, to be honest. This car is already 17 years old, there's going to be other stuff that will need my attention. Stereo will come after I get some basic vitals on this car.

More pics! Good looking rig.

That's all I've got for pics at the moment, gotta go to bed. I took the day off from work and my wife and very young daughter got up at 3 AM with me to drive 4.5 hours away to buy this thing and then we drove back. Getting the family hauler was a family adventure.

The entire undercarriage is as clean as in those two pics though. I've been underneath a few 100s/120s recently and they varied a LOT but this one was simply rust-free from bow to stern.

Sweet! Now drag it out to our RDU meeting next month, or Logan's Run 2018 - Sept 13-16 2018 We'd love to meet you.

What's the RDU meeting?

I checked Logan's Run, that sounds cool, Denton/Troy is only about 1.5 hrs from Durham so that's not bad. I only saw vehicle inspections on Thu/Fri but not Sat/Sun. Do I need to get there on a Friday? Or could I come up there early on a Saturday?

Raleigh/Durham-area meeting. Monthly ONSC meeting for that region. Keep an eye on our clubhouse for dates. Typically the first Tues or Wed of the month.

Vehicle inspections (TLCA standards) are mandated by our event insurance for vehicles that intend to go out on organized trail runs for any day. Don't worry about it if you don't wanna 'wheel with an organized group; you can hit the trails on your own or with others without concern. Plenty of folks stay in camp all weekend, too. Come for a day or all 3...doesn't matter. PM me with any questions!

SCORE!

Nice find! T's before anything else, including Timing belt, or at the same time at least, but do NOT put them off or take them lightly!~ The T's will hang you out long before the T belt will.

Nice find! T's before anything else, including Timing belt, or at the same time at least, but do NOT put them off or take them lightly!~ The T's will hang you out long before the T belt will.

What, you mean these? ;)

When I picked up the vehicle I saw this and subsequently kept one eyeball fixated on the temp gauge for the next 4.5 hours.

On the bright side, since these are original, at least I know that they've never overheated the engine with the T's.

o96QF2P.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^^ Yeah those... DO NOT TOUCH THEM until you have parts in hand and are ready to dive in. That would scare me.

^^^^^^ Yeah those... DO NOT TOUCH THEM until you have parts in hand and are ready to dive in. That would scare me.

@Pyrenees x10 on this^^^

Don't touch them, EVER, until you have the replacement parts. @Dwight S is correct! Those are serious borrowed time. If they pop, you're seriously marooned. Do them this weekend!! Then you can relax as everything else can "technically" be done as time allows. T's not so much. Search for Heater T's here and you get a plethora of info on what's what, changing, fiddling etc. Spring for new hoses as well, assemble assembly and install.

Are the hose T's still P/N 87248-60460 for basically all 100's?

Also, I just realized I've never ordered Toyota parts in my life. I'm definitely not getting them on ebay and I'm boycotting RockAuto because they sent me the wrong VW flywheel in my time of desperation once.

I see toyotapartsdeal, various dealerships, cruiserparts.net....

What do you all like?

Last edited:
Are the hose T's still P/N 87248-60460 for basically all 100's?

Also, I just realized I've never ordered Toyota parts in my life. I'm definitely not getting them on ebay and I'm boycotting RockAuto because they sent me the wrong VW flywheel in my time of desperation once.

I see toyotapartsdeal, various dealerships, cruiserparts.net....

What do you all like?

You’re fairly local to Fred Anderson Toyota.

Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories | parts.fredandersontoyota.com

They offer a pretty decent discount on online orders. If you can visit them, order online and pickup at the parts counter and save the shipping cost.

I don’t think the part numbers have changed on the tees.

You’re fairly local to Fred Anderson Toyota.

Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories | parts.fredandersontoyota.com

They offer a pretty decent discount on online orders. If you can visit them, order online and pickup at the parts counter and save the shipping cost.

Good point. I don't usually make it over to Raleigh (South Durham has spoiled me, everything I need is within 10 mins) but I may need to make an excuse to head over there. Do you have a preferred shop around here?

Looks like you scored a really really nice LX470.
Undercarriage looks great, and the interior looks great too.
How many miles was on it?
Most importantly, how good is the Maintenance History -- which you can view its complete history by simply going to to this website registering, and entering your VIN:

Lexus Owners Site | Lexus Drivers

Looks like you scored a really really nice LX470.
Undercarriage looks great, and the interior looks great too.
How many miles was on it?
Most importantly, how good is the Maintenance History -- which you can view its complete history by simply going to to this website registering, and entering your VIN:

Lexus Owners Site | Lexus Drivers

Thanks for the tip, I actually used exactly this to look up the history before I even saw the thing. Man, I wish BMW had done something like that back when I was into those. That would have been great.

Also, 170k. California car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom