Builds 86 4runner build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK Mr @Gumby , where did the "builds" prefix come from?

Last edited:
Put new driver door hinges on the skinner today. I guess at 32 years old even a light Toyota door can wear out the hinge.
Hinges were about the same price as pins and bushings, but I would not do them without taking the fender off. If my passenger hinges ever wear out, I’m just doing pins. Or pre-runner fenders.

31s

I used noico. You can get it on the amazons

Amazon product ASIN B00URUIKAK
I used this too. Get the roller for it, helps get it stuck down much better. I covered it with the Frost King adhesive closed cell foam. I've done the 1/4's to the door jams, need to do the doors next.
Now to figure out something nice looking to use on the inside of the removable top.

Thanks Guys.

I have a boneyard rear window and the channel looks like that. I really need to find a substitute.

I've been toying with making the sliders one piece of glass that don't open and eliminating all of the seals etc. in favor of some butyl tape or something. I never open them anyway.

I've been toying with making the sliders one piece of glass that don't open and eliminating all of the seals etc. in favor of some butyl tape or something. I never open them anyway.
And I've been thinking about taking out the side sliders and finding a way to fabricate gull wing panels. I do use those windows.

Seems like for that the hinges & latches from an X/Super/Club Cab truck or one of the SUV's with similar rear opening windows would give you partly opening windows. If you're thinking more like the "windoors" on some camper shells all of that hardware might still work (depending on the actual geometry), but the latches would need some mods to completely release the glass. Sealing when closed could be as simple as some Trim-lok bulb seal trim.

I've debated buying someone's cast-off whole other top to experiment with as I'd also like to go to a hatch style rear window.

Tidy work he did there. Seems like if there is a ledge in the top similar to the 80's pinch-weld then his kit parts (including the Trim-lok bulb seal) applied to a different blank panel would work. Is he interested in a second such kit? I could be talked into that instead of simply blanked off, particularly if I can sub the aluminum panel for a polycarbonate panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom