During Brake Flush -- No Pedal, ABS and VSC Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FinallyGotOne!

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought I saw this in another post recently but I can't find it.

I am in the middle of replacing F/R pads and flushing brake system. When I got to front right, I asked wife to help with the bleeding and she pushed the pedal to the floor and it got caught behind the floor mat. Not sure how long it stayed. Now I have ABS and VSC lights and almost no pedal. If I pump it fast it will eventually pump up, but ABS light won't go out. If I pump it slow, it'll go to the floor.

The MC reservoir did not go empty.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance...

Re-bleed the FR to make sure no air got in that caliper. Do you have engine on (ignition on) when pumping the brake pedal? It will have to be in the run position for the booster pump to run and build up system pressure. Did the MC get real low on fluid, or have ample fluid in it when the pedal got stuck?

Re-bleed the FR to make sure no air got in that caliper. Do you have engine on (ignition on) when pumping the brake pedal? It will have to be in the run position for the booster pump to run and build up system pressure. Did the MC get real low on fluid, or have ample fluid in it when the pedal got stuck?

Thanks Sandroad. I went to buy more fluid and figured I'd finish up the LF before I panicked. A SH*TLOAD of air came out of the LF...I am going to go back to RF and then the rears to see if any got anywhere else. No, fluid was not too low...at least I didn't think 0.5" below the LOW mark was too little.

More in a bit...

Fixed! Feels better than ever before. I've been dealing with less than satisfactory brake feel since I got this truck at 10K miles and after a flush at 30K and multiple bleedings, I decided at 57K that I would replace pads and do another fluid flush.

Not sure if the problem today was caused when the woman pushed the pedal to the floor too many times, and/or I let the reservoir get too low (again, no lower than 0.5" below the LOW line), but as noted above, the ABS faulted and I had no pedal at all after trying to bleed the RF.

I installed SpeedBleeders a couple of years ago, so I know I didn't introduce any air at the calipers. Maybe I was finally able to blow residual air out of the ABS...but after eating dinner, reading @Sandroad post, and buying more fluid, I started bleeding again up front and got massive amounts of air out. I've never seen so much air. I then redid the rears, which were fine, and then the fronts for the third time.

Went out for a test drive and can't believe how great the brakes feel...not as good as my IS F, but more like an IS F than my first truck (which was a '49 Chevy) and which was how they used to feel!

For the record, the pads I replaced were about 75% gone at the rear and about 60% gone up front. Not only am I surprised how good the fronts were after 57K miles, I am very surprised that this truck used the rears so much more quickly than the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom