Dead GX, Levinson, Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.

So my 05 Gx470 is totaled. A guy in an F350 turned left in front of me last night. I was doing 45 and him maybe 20 mph. Pretty hard hit and I believe both aren’t worth fixing. We all walked away. Just stiff and sore.

The GX held up very well. Easily the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Miss it already.

5ABFFDFC-3B2B-4B71-B46E-16A630198B1F.jpeg

8A201663-3F51-4305-8744-17740BA11C25.jpeg

Now I’m in the market for another. I avoided the Levinson system the first time. Is that still recommended? Found a nice 09 with ML and the usual bad amp. I’d like to just repair the amp and replace the deck with an aftermarket unit.

Sorry to ask something I should be able to research on my own but I’ve tried. Problem is I’m gonna be medicated for a couple days and I’m hoping someone can dumb it down a shade for me.

Sorry about your accident. I was in one last year driving a vw and ended up getting the GX470 for safety reasons, among the other obvious reasons. Glad to see it responded how it should have and you are okay. Take your time recovering and be easy on yourself.

I don’t know much about the levinson system but when I was researching these last year people were still saying to avoid it and the kdss- mine didn’t come with either, but that was by chance.

Oh man..I'm glad everyone is ok.

Not to be the vulture, but...if you happen to part the truck out vs having the insurance company take it, I've been hunting for a skid control ECU (the one on the master cylinder) for a while.

So sorry to hear that, I lost my 06 in an accident about 3 years ago as well. If you want to upgrade to an aftermarket head unit, i would look for a non levinson GX.

I have an '09 with the NAV and find it ok to live with. I use the bluetooth feature for phone calls and a BT adapter that plugs into the AUX for audio. I upgraded the maps to the 2015 version (i believe there is a 2017 now) and the GPS has gotten me through areas where I don't have cell service (GMaps and Waze are my primary NAV apps). Also, all the forest service roads in the mountains around me are shown in the NAV which is nice.

Speakers sound fine still although I mostly listen to talk radio. I would not invest in upgrading my sound system since I don't find it necessary. There have been a few people on GXOR who were able to retrofit the non-NAV controls into a NAV model so I would not call the NAV, especially the '07+ a dealbreaker, honestly.

Thanks. Unless I find a better one by the weekend I’m gonna go ahead with the ML model. It was obviously better cared for. I’ve never had to do a salvage vehicle type thing before. Not much space around here to store a spare car but if it’s at all feasible I’ll try to harvest every part I can.

Newer cars irk me. I’m gonna hoard as much as I can to keep a couple GX470s going as long by as possible. It’s great peace of mind to know my vehicle is in top condition and Toyota/Lexus is the only brand that I enjoy wrenching on. It’s like the engineers actually had pride in their work! Working on GM is so frustrating while the GX is quite rewarding. Wish I had a fleet of them. One to drive daily, one for each kid, one to supercharge, one to spray with bedliner and mount an MG turret, one to....

Thanks again!

I had a non-nav ML system and upgraded. I just removed everything and put in aftermarket. Works great these past 6 years.

And now I’m looking at the LX470. What’s wrong with me? At least it kinda makes sense because the kids are getting bigger.

I have ML with KDSS. I had to repair the amp recently through United Radio in NY. My KDSS problem is due to the lean after I lift it. There is a person that made a spacer to correct the front lean issue. Currently working on the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom