01 LX aftermarket radio issues...nothing else works without the key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i finally got around to replacing my head unit and ditching the factory amp. I had already installed door speakers so the idea was to use oem wiring to new amp and run RCAs from deck to new amp. Handful of wires what can go wrong?

I used a 20pin metra adaptor at the HU plug but the blue wire with white strip that’s is to turn on the amp went to a no connect pin on the OEM plug. So I tapped into the power antenna wire which the new HU also uses.

Key installed to ACC and radio works dome lights work locks work. Power mirror does not adjust anymore. Made a clicking sound when I first started the car like the mirror was folded but wasn’t sure if it was.

Remove key and nothing works, there is a red car flashing light under the radio with a wrench on it. No dome light, no power locks no alarm.

It’s 11pm so I parked it in the garage. Removed the amp power on wire from the power antenna wire on he metra harness. Same problems plus amp doesn’t turn on of course. Disconnect the ground wire in battery in case there is a short and called it a night.

Any ideas what I did? Tomorrow course is dis connect the metra harness from OEM plug and cross fingers it something simple. I also connected new HU ground to the ground wire in the metra harness vs hard connecting to a bolt.

Unplugged the metra harness from the oem HU plug with the same results. All unused wires are capped with tape.

Reading stuff on crimping wires together of the B connector on the amp side. Does that really need to be done if the new HU is already getting power?

plugged in the factory amp with just the speaker wire missing that has been routed to the new amp. Everything works again. But the connector is a 26 pin accessory connector hence not matching what I found in TLC fact 14 pin out.

43148921685_7aa071c077_b.jpg

So I guess I have to match wire colors but he didn't list wire colors for this connector. Anyone point me to the bypass hack job with good pictures on the LX. I'll be hunting for them in the mean time. Both amps will not fit into this location.

Quoted from TLCfact
Land Cruiser notes:
  • Toyota has a feedback loop for power to the head unit via the factory amplifier. The radio connections in the upper dash have several feeds coming from the factory amplifier. So if you use the factory connections in the upper dash and you are changing out the amplifier you will need to tie wires together at the amp location for power, accessory and ground. The amplifier has two connectors (S6 is 16 Pin and S7 is 14 pin). If the following connections are not made or bypassed you won’t have power to the new radio.
    • On Connector S7 remove pin 3 (B+ out) and on Connector S6 remove pin 7 (B+ in) and tie them together using appropriate crimp or solder them.
    • On Connector S7 remove pins 2 (accessory in) and 9 (accessory out) and tie them together using appropriate crimp or solder them.
    • On Connector S7 remove pin 10 (ground int) and on Connector S6 remove pin 13 (Ground out) and tie them together using appropriate crimp or solder them.
    • On Connector S7 remove pin 1 to use for your new amplifier “turn on” signal.

3rd bullet, I assume from what Ground Int and Ground out are Brown, these are both found on S6 connector with the Speaker wires.

I found this one but still missing one. I see Pink connected to Gray. Not sure which of the first two bullets this is.

amp bypass

I gave up after trying to Ohm the pins out and looking for pin out on the ML amps. Thinking clearly now, I should have cracked the Amp case to see if I can see the pin routes from the suspected wires. Oh well. I moved the new amp over and mounting the OEM amp into the OEM loction with connectors plugged in, minus speaker wires route to the new Kenwood amp.

Everything works as designed, new amp runs the show, the ML amp has the power circuit that runs the dome lights, mirrors, power locks and alarm. God forbid if that Amp dies

43155657395_47a7cc54ae_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom