Small drip from rear end - Pinion seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys/gals, so after a recent trip to Azusa I noticed a small drip at the pinion seal. Can I maintain Fluid level until I get around to replacing the seal? Not really looking forward to the job since I've read how other have a leaking seal not long after replacement. Any tips or advice for when I get to it would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Before condemning the pinion seal I would check the axle breather valve. A clogged valve can cause a pressure rise inside the axle which can push fluid out of the pinion and/or inner oil seals. Just a thought...

Before condemning the pinion seal I would check the axle breather valve. A clogged valve can cause a pressure rise inside the axle which can push fluid out of the pinion and/or inner oil seals. Just a thought...

Actually going to check that today. Just looking to see if I can maintain the oil level for a bit before I get to the bushing if that's the issue

Also if you lifted the vehicle, your pinion angle my be out and causing vibration and leaking.

Also if you lifted the vehicle, your pinion angle my be out and causing vibration and leaking.

I have installed an OME 3" but didnt consider the pinion angle changing. Thought the angle at the driveshaft joint is where the change would be.. no driveline vibrations as of yet that I have felt

Actually going to check that today. Just looking to see if I can maintain the oil level for a bit before I get to the bushing if that's the issue
Yes, you can drive it for years that way as long as you maintain oil levels.

Agree with insuring vent is free 1st. Remove fitting on axle housing and verify clear into axle. Then make sure fitting & vent hose are clear it's entire length, especially if extended. Also agree that you can drive it, maintaining oil level. One thing to note, depending on how bad your leak is, a dripping pinion will fling oil enough to coat the rear underside, bumper & tailgate - ask me how I know...lol. And gear oil is quite pungent :yuck:

Last edited:
Following...

Pretty sure it is the vent. My pinion seal started to leak. I replaced the diff breather with some fuel line and a lawnmower fuel filter and the drip went away.

BTW, do not check the original diff breather by putting your lips on it and blowing or sucking. Diff fluid doesn't taste good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom