First drive with first fjz80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well my 96 finally made it to me @ 4am. First thing I did was check oil and coolant levels before departing on a little trail mission to see if it was up to snuff. (Seller stated hg had been done, and I could visibly see bypass heater valve had been done). Truck looked to be quite clean underneath, as well as the engine bay . Interior was kinda sucky, have read the threads about pulling wood grain as we as the stripped gear for the power seats, seems to have affected driver and passenger .

Pros . Didnt miss a lick besides check engine light came on about 45 minutes in. EGR valve.
worked well , didnt even need the lockers for any of it , on 285 road tires and ugly wheels.

Cons
Obviously the EGR valve.
Had the right diff lock blinking , but I also didnt have much time to fiddle with it, i.e, do a couple of figure 8s to see if it would properly engage .

Sunroof started leaking on the sliding cover on the passenger side rear corner, I'll investigate it once the monsoon stops.

Looks like driver side rear sliding window has a very minute leak as well, only saw a drop or two, but again I'll have a look once I get more opportunity.

On the back half , a storm came running in, which usually causes flash floods , so we made it out in pretty good time. All in all I was pretty impressed with the capability of it being stock .

P.s. anyone keep their mudflaps? Honestly I kind of like em , and I have no idea why.

20180814_200905.jpg

20180814_185112.jpg

20180814_185101.jpg

Congrats on having a land cruiser, it will be a project! If it runs and drives you're ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned. Looks like there are some other interesting cars in front of your place...

Nice 80. You could like the mud flaps but if you wheel it enough they will be removed. Id remove them before they make an ugly departure.

Mud flaps can be removed and later reinstalled for off road trips relatively easy. Also take off the center wheel caps for off road trips before they get lost. Ditch the running boards in the trash and look to installing sliders instead. You can then use separate front mud flaps. Lockers aren't normally required unless you get into something more gnarly. Anything you can get through with the running boards still attached isn't going to require lockers.

In terms of EGR, check your wiring harness near the EGR and related tubing that gets very hot. Secure it away from, clips tend to break off. Some also wrap or put heat shields on too.
Clear out your sunroof drain. Diff actuator can be rebuilt.
Lots of threads to help you here. Welcome, nice 80!

Congrats on having a land cruiser, it will be a project! If it runs and drives you're ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned. Looks like there are some other interesting cars in front of your place...

Too many cars lol. That's a 63 Cadillac. It's my brother in laws . I couldn't afford gas in that and the lc

You could like the mud flaps but if you wheel it enough they will be removed. Id remove them before they make an ugly departure.

Stock height 80 + mud flaps + wheeling = no bueno

If you've already had it off road, and kept them attached, you did well.

I cut mine after tearing one backing out of a parking area at a walking trail head
IMG_20180512_175721.jpg
IMG_20180512_180618.jpg

Well shaky mirror post, shaky mirror and flaps+running boards finally fixed. Starting peeling out wood grain but boss lady list was on the agenda as well, so that'll be the next post I suppose

20180819_075514.jpg

20180819_095823.jpg

20180819_134808.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom