Hauling Kayaks on stock roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,
I just picked up a 12 ft kayak that weighs about 60 lbs. The stock roof rack and cross bars are rated for over 100lbs if I'm not mistaking.

I'm 6'4" and thinking a J-style mount would be really easy for me to load up and strap my kayak down.
Can anyone recommend a J-style mount that will bolt onto the stock cross bars?

Thanks in advance!

I have two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00873J0YY/

They bolt to the rack easily and do a fair job at keeping the yaks in place. I threw the straps away that came with the racks since they would not stay tight and bought some quality cinch buckle straps.

At 6'3" tall, I find the yaks can be a challenge to get on the roof, especially after a long day paddling. The stock crossbars do flex quite a bit with 100lbs of kayak on the roof.

IMG_20180428_103113~2.jpg

I have two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00873J0YY/

They bolt to the rack easily and do a fair job at keeping the yaks in place. I threw the straps away that came with the racks since they would not stay tight and bought some quality cinch buckle straps.

At 6'3" tall, I find the yaks can be a challenge to get on the roof, especially after a long day paddling. The stock crossbars do flex quite a bit with 100lbs of kayak on the roof.

View attachment 1767183

Great to know. I already have some good ratchet straps. Just wanted to make sure the clamping part would fit over factory crossbars.

I have carried my 13ft. (approximately 65 lbs) on my stock roof rack several times. It has worked fine at most speeds, but I did take a trip on the interstate one time where I believe the flex in the stock cross bars allowed an oscillation to start. I slowed down to about 60 and made it fine, but believe a more rigid aftermarket bar will provide better performance. I believe I will try again with my bars moved forward and rearward as much as possible. NOTE - This picture was taken after removing my bow and stern safety lines.

IMG_0590_rotated.jpg

I have the Malone Downloader on my vehicle, which I have been happy with. They have a ramp which allows you to slide the kayak into the J cradle, which is helpful on these heavier kayaks.

MPG114%20MainImage.jpg

No fancy holders, i just throw them on the rack and throw some ratchet straps on them. But these dont weigh 60 lbs.

Im a HUGE fan of Yakima Jaylow cradles, used them on stock 4R and now LX cross bars. High quality with a nice fold down design, boats are easy on easy off. I can carry up to 4 12-14' boats with 2 pairs of cradles.

I bought whatever the cheapest j-racks are from some sporting goods store, I don't remember which one. It mounts just fine. I keep my bars as far forward/rearward as they can go.

I've taken it on the interstate and washboard roads, it doesn't move. I regularly haul canoes, too. I attach two 2x3's with some regular u-bolts to make it wider.

This coming weekend I'll be pushing the limit with 1 canoe and 2 stackable kayaks (for a short drive to our put-in from the campsite).

IMG_20180421_170604717.jpg

IMG_20180114_153051387_HDR.jpg

I have a kayak thats the same size/weight as yours and load it up alone and I'm 5'11. It's a bit cumbersome but doable. I basically pick it up straight over head and lay one side in the J and then step up on the tire/inside the rear door to stand it up into the cradle. I use the Yakima Jaylows and even with 4 straps tightened snugly (Front/Back and at each mount) I see a bit of wiggle at highway speeds but nothing too crazy. I've considered aftermarket racks to try to cut that down but haven't pursued it since its not too big of a deal, I'm just a bit OCD about such things.

The only time I've ever been actually concerned on the LX with movement was driving at 70mph with high winds when storm was rolling in. And that might have just been me being paranoid.

I think what I'm going to do is go ahead and get a cheap set of J racks. That should do for a while at 60mph or so. Then later get some better crossbars. If I get a universal set I can just swap the J rack over to the new crossbars.

I'm a bit like @DickB and I'm OCD about this thing moving. So I'd like to get it a bit more sturdy than the flexing factory crossbars.

Anyone have some input on crossbars? Won't be carrying anything bigger than a kayak really.

Spend money and get Yakima instead. Two years ago I replaced my 20 year old kayak cradles with these. Figure when I'm in my 60s I'll probably have to do it again.

These are on my Gobi rack but will fit on any style rack.

Worst case scenario: you hate kayaking and put them on CL. Then you'll be glad you got a rack you can easily resell.
IMG_20180814_171532508_HDR.jpg

I use ratchet straps to haul mine. If I'm going very far on the highway, I'll use cam straps for the bow/stern safety lines. I've hauled 2 kayaks with ratchet straps a few times, but would probably get some type of cradle if I was doing it very often.

IMG_0901-M.jpg

Im a HUGE fan of Yakima Jaylow cradles, used them on stock 4R and now LX cross bars. High quality with a nice fold down design, boats are easy on easy off. I can carry up to 4 12-14' boats with 2 pairs of cradles.

Yup, I didn't trust the stock bars with 2 yaks on them so I bought some Yakima aero bars and jaylows and have no complaints. Driven hours on the highway with them and they are great with my Tarpon 120 and 10ft pescador. Look around on Craigslist for some good deals. I got my whole setup of aero bars and 4 jaylows with 4 straps for super cheap. I can haul them up there fairly easily and I'm 6'.

IMG_8738.JPG

No expensive rack here... $10 worth of large pool noodles from Walmart split down the middle to fit over the factory crossbars held down with some ratchet straps. Taken many trips with one that was 1000+ miles with no issue. 90lb, 12' kayak.

IMG_20180504_122516797.jpg

I'm all about the thule hullivator.

No climbing/trying to throw straps over/etc.

Moded mine to handle surf/paddle boards. Works great.

The thule square bar interface to factory side rails (can't use OEM cross bars, though they can stay as they provide added stiffness) also work well. 10ft long board going 75 was a steady as can be.

NOTE: bowline to front (bumper, or ?) highly recommended/mandatory!

Your back will say thank you!

I paddle a Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, and it weight 55 lbs, dry. I have a pair of Thule Hull-a-Port Pro XT Kayak J-cradles. They attach right to the factory racks. They don't give you the help of the Hullivator, but they fold down when not in use, reducing wind noise and drag.

I like them, so far. I've been running with them for a couple months. I use a cinch strap on each and lines at the bow and stern (that I attach to a
"quick loop", one under the truck hood and one under the rear bumper. Before the Thules, I used foam chocks, a pair of straps, and bow and stern lines. The boat stays fast in the J-cradles, even at California highway speeds.

I'm 5' 6", at best, so I employ a step ladder to secure the straps and attach the lines. I also use the step ladder to get the boat onto the J-cradles; I lift the boat overhead, with my head planted in the cockpit, sidestep up the ladder, swivel a bit to face my rig, and then I pop the boat off my head into the cradles. I'm still working on my technique.

Someday I'll get a lighter boat.

IMG_6917.JPG

I bought the West Marine J-cradles today.

I had ordwred some no name brand cheap Amazon J-cradles yesterday. They were used but like new and it was actually 2 pair for $25.... But I was nervous they'd be crappy and/or wouldn't fit the stock rails (description made no indication). So I cancelled my order and went to West Marine today. They had 20% off ($75 after taxes). I probably would have been fine with cheap Amazon stuff, but the WM are toolless install as opposed to needing tools for the Amazon units. I'm happy with my purchase.

I will report back after this weekend and let you know how they do. I have a 2 hour trip at 40-65 mph speeds.

Last edited:
Ladders: Oh man.....have an inflatable kayak that wanted to put on my 60 roof rack. Got 2 steps up and the step ladder went "sideways". As I was falling in the horizontal position, I was thinking my head is going to crack open.

Luckily, that thought allowed me to land on my back with my head bent up....no head contact.

Bought the hullavator the next day:cheers:

I don't trust any ladder unless it's welded to the rig or bolted to the rear bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom