Any 5th Gen 4Runner Owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been on the fence for a few years on picking up a 200 series, am looking for some insight from current owners if anyone has time to spare.

Namely, does/has anyone owned both? Ran a search but didn't find anything specific, just some anecdotes here and there. What are your thoughts on ownership experience, obvious things like maintenance cost and fuel economy aside?

Long story short, I'm on my second 5th Gen 4Runner, first one built and sold to my old man when he retired down in Baja. Owned a 2016 Tacoma for a few months but quickly found out that a small/midsize pickup isn't for me. Almost got into a pre-owned 200 but got another 4Runner instead, due mainly to cost. I got my brand new Limited 4Runner (full-time 4wd, heated/cooled seats, etc) for $40k. This let me mod the 4Runner and pickup some camera gear with the money saved. I also own an 80 that my brother and I built up with Slee's 4" suspension, part time conversion, chromoly axles, 4x4Labs armor all around, and 37's. Awesome truck which I honestly enjoy driving more than the 4Runner.

Meanwhile, the latest 4Runner build has been kind of tedious. Not sure why but nothing has gone smooth. I test drive every used 200 that hits dealer lots around me just for fun (and to not bother private sellers) and can't help but recognize the lineage between the 200 and the 80, despite how different they are. The driver position and visibility out of the 200 reminds me of the 80, and I like it.

I'm entertaining selling the 4Runner while it's still in it's current iteration, with resale being as high as it will ever be. Idea would be to replace it with a pre-owned 200. I like the idea of the hybrid Tundra lift for the front, pair it with some rear coils, probably rear links for pinion angle, 35's, and sliders. Leave the build at that and just enjoy it. I've got the 80 and an old Rover I use for harder trails so this won't be for super technical stuff.

I'm a little torn because the 4Runner build is basically done, and there's really nothing wrong with the truck, it's purely me wanting more of the cruiser experience when driving, the kind I get behind the wheel of my 80. If anyone has any good arguments one way or the other that I may not have considered, I'm all ears. I'll probably list the 4Runner up for sale and see what kind of interest I get and go from there. Thanks everyone.

9F89B81C-935D-4AC7-AEA3-9EBCF674463B.jpeg
We have had both for about three years now, wife is on her 5th 4Runner in 17 years. Pros: They are great value, dependable , great resale value, decent in gas. Cons: No power, lots of plastic, no rear ac.

I have owned every varriant of Cruiser and the 200 is a great machine. Pros: lots of room I am 6’6”, unlimited power, rear ac, cool box, fit and finish on the build quality is unmatched. Cons: repairs cost more, thirsty for fuel, a little large for narrow trails.

I drive them both on a weekly basis and are both good but for my family the 200 is the ticket for moving all of them around.

The wife will only drive 4runner’s, tried getting her in a 200 when we bought her last 4Runner...

Drive a 200, and that will make the decision for you. While the 200 is an amazing machine, I think each generation since the 80 has lost some of the "Cruiser Soul" as far as driving experience. Don't get me wrong, I love my 200, it's got great power, is really comfortable, and is an amazing machine. But there was a feel that my '00 100 had that the 200 misses. I've heard the same said when going from the 80 to the 100. So take one for a spin, see what you think, and then make your decision.

I had a ‘90 4Runner, a ‘04 Pathfinder, a ‘05 4Runner and a ‘08 LC. I loved the 4Runners and after the LC I can’t ride in one without thinking about how “small” they are. My 4’s fit me like a glove and seemed to be perfect but after 10 minutes in the LC the 4’s were too small, underpowered (the ‘05 had the V8) and lacking in panache. Somewhere around 300,000 miles in 4’s and 250,000 in the 200’s.

Ive had a 1994, 1996, 2008 and 2010 4Runner. Loved each one and they were fantastic vehicles but my 200 beats them all in every aspect. I’m not knocking the 4Runner but the LC is in a completely different class. It took a 5 min test drive in the 200 for me to turn in my 2010 4Runner and never look back.

If you plan on towing 200. If it’s just cruising around...depending on the number of occupants...4R will be just fine. I went from a 15 4R TrailPremium w/kiss with icons and +1 tires to my 17 200. I occasionally haul 6 passengers. I had planned on... now own a Schutt trailer. The only thing I miss is the better approach and departure angle on the 4R.

I have had a 3rd gen and a 4th gen with a V8. I bought the V8 4th gen because the V6 was under powered IMOP. I think the biggest mistake they made with the 5th gen was going with a V6. Although I am sure it gets slightly better gas mileage

I have driven a 5th gen and it didnt change my opinion

BUT everyone is different. To some power isnt a concern. I tow and drive over mountain passes and the 5.7 engine was a must for me as the 4.7 V8 in my 100 didnt have enough power . . . . . for me :D And that has more power than a 5th gen

If the size of the 200 is a factor, I would look at the GX470/460 which everywhere else in the world is a Land Cruiser Prado built with a 100 series V8 drive train and not as wide as 1 00 or a 200. These are built with the same quality and materials as a Land Cruiser and much nicer interior materials than a 5th gen being a lexus. My daughter has a built one of these and its a great vehicle with much more power than a 5th gen but about the same size. It may even be on the same frame, not sure.

I had a 4th gen 4Runner - ‘03 V8 Limited. I test drove the 2015/2016 4Runner 3 times when I decided to replace my ‘03. I really wanted to like it. The size was good for me, inside and out.

But I simply hated the powertrain. That transmission needs at least one more gear. That V6 is fast enough when you beat on it, but it doesn’t have much torque down low, and it doesn’t sound nice at high revs.

In contrast, the 5.7 in the LC has a lot of low-end torque. I rarely have to rev it. I can accelerate nicely with low revs, low noise, and no drama. The interior is quieter, more comfortable, and more luxurious. Downsides are that the LC is larger when parking (particularly the width), and fuel economy in the city is horrific.

I test drove the GX460. I hate the side-hinged rear door. The thick D-pillar, small rear window, and high window sill line reduce visibility for me. I found the drivers seat to be uncomfortable— it felt like there was a ridge around the perimeter of the seat bottom. The third-row seats fold flat into the floor, but to achieve that they raised the cargo floor 5 inches above the bottom of the rear door. As a result, they suck up a ton of cargo room and can’t be easily removed. If you fold the 2nd and 3rd rows in the GX, you have 60 cu ft of cargo room. If you fold the 2nd row in a 4Runner (one without the 3rd row seats), you have 80 cu ft of cargo room.

Finally, while the GX starts at a reasonable price, the base model is basically stripped. To get the equipment that you want, you have to get an expensive higher trim level, at which point I was looking at an MSRP of $65k two years ago. I got a two-year-old Land Cruiser instead for less money, and I think it is a much better truck. YMMV

ETA: spell-check and autocomplete on IOS sucks the big one.

Last edited:
I think your comparing the price of a brand new GX against a 2 year old Land Cruisers. That isnt exactly apples to apples :D No personal slap intended here and no animals were hurt with this post.

FWIW, my daughter has the older GX470 and the seats come out easily with no raised cargo area. These can be found for under $20K. A 2year old GX460 would be in the $40's from what I have seen. The hinged rear door does have some advantages for accessibility. It is a personal taste thing

Obviously I prefer the 200 series because I have one. It was too big for my daughter and I thought the GX470 was a nice compromise between her older 4 runner and a land Cruiser.

I had about $60k to spend, so a new GX and a 2-year-old Land Cruiser were similarly priced. Therefore I cross-shopped them. In fact, I bought my LC from the same Lexus dealership where I had been shopping for a GX.

Also, note that I wrote “I hate the side-hinged rear door.” I didn’t write that it sucks. I accept that some people like them and didn’t imply otherwise.

View attachment 1767113 We have had both for about three years now, wife is on her 5th 4Runner in 17 years. Pros: They are great value, dependable , great resale value, decent in gas. Cons: No power, lots of plastic, no rear ac.

I have owned every varriant of Cruiser and the 200 is a great machine. Pros: lots of room I am 6’6”, unlimited power, rear ac, cool box, fit and finish on the build quality is unmatched. Cons: repairs cost more, thirsty for fuel, a little large for narrow trails.

I drive them both on a weekly basis and are both good but for my family the 200 is the ticket for moving all of them around.

The wife will only drive 4runner’s, tried getting her in a 200 when we bought her last 4Runner...

Nice. Whether it's vehicle weight a difference in power assist, I've noticed that the 4Runner drives significantly lighter, much easier to turn the wheel. They do feel like they drive themselves, to me.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate hearing other voices.

We've actually got a GX in the family, awesome vehicles. The 4Runner has me torn though. I tell myself I should just get over it, from a practical aspect, but I'm just not in love with it. They've never let me down and everyy trip I make I enjoy how easy it makes things, which are all great reasons to like a vehicle, but everything about the cruiser is nicer, and I really miss the fold down tailgate.

I agree that somethings been lost from the 80 to the hundred and 100 to 200, I have driven them all. At this point I might be focusing more on seeing the 4Runner while it's still current and going from there. Either way sounds like I should drive a 200 again haha.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate hearing other voices.

We've actually got a GX in the family, awesome vehicles. The 4Runner has me torn though. I tell myself I should just get over it, from a practical aspect, but I'm just not in love with it. They've never let me down and everyy trip I make I enjoy how easy it makes things, which are all great reasons to like a vehicle, but everything about the cruiser is nicer, and I really miss the fold down tailgate.

I agree that somethings been lost from the 80 to the hundred and 100 to 200, I have driven them all. At this point I might be focusing more on seeing the 4Runner while it's still current and going from there. Either way sounds like I should drive a 200 again haha.

Once you fully build the 100 or 200 and beat the living crap out of them in Moab, Baja and beyond...you figure out they are indeed real Cruisers. Although they might feel pedestrian elsewhere...it’s only because they are comfortable and accommodating.

But...in the crazy rough stuff at Cruise Moab? I had a significant number of anti-200 guys come up to me and declare that after watching...their mind was changed, and the 200 is absolutely legit.

It all depends on where you take the truck build and what you ask it to do. If you drive it to the mall...it’s s great, comfy car. If you beat the poo out of it off road? It is 100% Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
Does anyone make a high clearance rear bumper that replaces the rear crosember, 4x4Labs style?
Once you fully build the 100 or 200 and beat the living crap out of them in Moab, Baja and beyond...they will feel that way—because they are comfortable.

But in the crazy rough stuff at Cruise Moab? I had a significant number of anti-200 guys come up to me and declare that after watching...their mind was changed, and the 200 is absolutely legit.

It all depends on where you take the truck build and what you ask it to do. If you drive it to the mall...it’s s great, comfy car. If you beat the poo out of it of road? It is 100% Land Cruiser.

Yea so I've been running the travel numbers for the front end, mainly cause I was entertaining taking the 4Runner long travel. I'm feeling like it doesn't matter how much money I throw at it though, I'm still never gong to be happy with it.

Regardless, a 4Runner with a +2 long travel front end nets 11.5" of travel. A 200 with a Tundra hybrid lift nets 11"... practically the same travel but with factory parts and far far less maintenance. It's really tempting. I always argued the 4Runner had an advantage offload due to clearances but the front end travel difference is significant, especially considering the Cruisers maintain KDSS, whereas a long travel 4Runner ditches the front sway bar altogether.

The 4Runner will always have the advantage of simply being smaller. On a narrow shelf road in Colorado, the 200’s width is not an advantage.

I sold my 2014 4runner and got a 2015 200 series. Vast difference between the two vehicles. Absolutely no regrets . Someone on this forum made a comment that stuck with me " you've never heard a LC owner say I wish I had a 4Runner but how many 4runner owners wish they had a LC ? ". If you can afford it make the jump?

I’ve owned for a while a 4th gen 4Runner v8 but never took it offroad. Started my offroad adventure in a reasonable Montero that did fairly well. Then I got the chance to try a 80 and 100 series...what a difference, so I started to look for a a reasonably priced somewhat built 100 or 80. Good luck finding one, they were either beaten, rusty or too expensive IMO.

I ended up buying a mildly built 200, sight unseen and without ever testing one. I never done anything like this before, I usually research the next car a lot. I knew I liked the 100 a lot based on tests and I relied on all the favorable feedback from forum members who made the switch.

I went and replaced a lot of items that can go wrong (radiator, hoses, water pump, starter, charcoal canister), changed all the fluids (transmission, diffs, steering, braking) as well as replaced all rotors and pads. Added a rear bumper, drawers and fridge and took it to Telluride. What a joy to drive, comfortable and quiet on the road, a beast on the trails. I don’t regret it a bit. I did test a modded gen 5 and I was shocked how gutless it felt (maybe all the armor and bumpers is too much for this model).

I’ve owned for a while a 4th gen 4Runner v8 but never took it offroad. Started my offroad adventure in a reasonable Montero that did fairly well. Then I got the chance to try a 80 and 100 series...what a difference, so I started to look for a a reasonably priced somewhat built 100 or 80. Good luck finding one, they were either beaten, rusty or too expensive IMO.

I ended up buying a mildly built 200, sight unseen and without ever testing one. I never done anything like this before, I usually research the next car a lot. I knew I liked the 100 a lot based on tests and I relied on all the favorable feedback from forum members who made the switch.

I went and replaced a lot of items that can go wrong (radiator, hoses, water pump, starter, charcoal canister), changed all the fluids (transmission, diffs, steering, braking) as well as replaced all rotors and pads. Added a rear bumper, drawers and fridge and took it to Telluride. What a joy to drive, comfortable and quiet on the road, a beast on the trails. I don’t regret it a bit. I did test a modded gen 5 and I was shocked how gutless it felt (maybe all the armor and bumpers is too much for this model).

That took some guts, I don't know if I could buy a vehicle sight unseen! Yea the 5th gens really suffer from the electronic throttle mapping that Toyota is using, in my opinion. I put a Sprint Booster on mine and it really helped bring the throttle response back to "normal". I actually noticed some of this same hesitation with the 5.7 in the 200's, but not nearly as bad as on the 4Runner.

I’m kicking the idea around of selling my 16 200, and I immediately got an offer plus cash from a guy with an almost new 4runner TRD Pro so that says a lot.

I’m shocked...SHOCKED...that you are kicking around selling...then buying automobile #51... :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom