FJ60 Fan in a FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the 2F in my '78 FJ45 with a 2F from an '84 FJ60.

I decided not to change the fan, as the FJ60 motor had the clutch fan, and as it turns out is about an 1 1/2" bigger in diameter than the FJ40 fan.

I don't want to cut up my original fan shroud and I do have a FJ60 shroud, which is wider than the FJ45 rad support.

Here are the dimensions of the 40 rad support and the 60 fan, and the 60 fan shroud.

20180813_205237.jpg

Changing the fan means changing the water pump and disconnecting the oil cooler. It's a bit of work and I loose the oil cooler.

Has anyone done this mod?
I'm sure there are many later 2Fs in our old 40s.

So what have you done?
Is there plans out there somewhere to mod the 60 shroud?
Do I just make a new shroud from scratch?

Source a fan from a FJ40 with a fan clutch. It will be the right diameter for your shroud and will fit the clutch.
Check cruiseroutfitters.com
In the US in either 77, or 78 FJ40's came with fan clutches.

A better question is "How do I install a 1981 FJ40 engine in a 1978 FJ40?"

The answer is: bolt in the '81 engine, fan shroud, radiator hoses.

If those parts are not available, then they will have to be fabricated.

Another approach is to install a WP that has oil cooler fitting and direct drive fan.

Reading between the lines, your old engine did not have an oil cooler, but since your new one does, you wish to keep it. As Jim says, there is a direct drive water pump that will allow you to run the cooler AND keep your direct drive fan. No fan shroud mods.

That is the path of least resistance Kevin.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
You are good at reading between the lines Mark.

But I am also looking to keep the clutch fan if at all possible.

I suppose another option is to sand down the plastic fan to the old diameter of the original one. It could be done with some sandpaper on a board while the engine is running. Might be safe with heavy gloves and my full face helmet with the visor down.

Hmm, Decisions decisions.

When I installed a FJ60 motor into a '77 FJ45 I cut the FJ45 fan shroud. If you want to leave your original fan shroud alone then source a used FJ40 shroud and cut it. I would not cut the fan blades as you might unbalance the blade assembly which might damage water pump bearings. IIRC the cut was on a stamped feature in the shroud so that once done it was hard to tell if it was cut or not unless you had an uncut part next to it.

There were also FJ40 water pumps that used a clutch fan and had provisions for an oil cooler. No idea if you can still get the water pump with fan clutch but I'm pretty sure Cruiser Outfitters had new fan blades for about any combination that ever existed.

-- I just looked: Rockauto.com lists the water pump, fan clutch and fan blade for an '81 Land Cruiser in stock for reasonable prices. The fan blade is 17.5" dia.

Nick

Last edited:
I suppose another option is to sand down the plastic fan to the old diameter of the original one. It could be done with some sandpaper on a board while the engine is running. Might be safe with heavy gloves and my full face helmet with the visor down.

Hmm, Decisions decisions.

You may be a Canuck, but that is some :hillbilly: American thinking there! Heck, I'd sponsor you for membership in the White Trash for that!

Sonny from FJParts can probably help you with a good deal on a clutch-type fan that will fit inside your shroud. He's got a direct deal with the OE mfgr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom