Knewstance 1998 Restoration/Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current:

IMG_20191207_120334.jpg

Picked up this 1998 Land Cruiser today! I'm excited about the LC, it will be a long road to get it to where I'm content but thus is life.

1998 @ 296k miles - I picked it up on the cheap, but judging by the condition, I don't feel like I stole it but it was a fair deal for both parties.

I was/still am very nervous about 296k miles, but it rides and drives great! No rust anywhere (AZ its whole life).

I took over 50 before photos just to have some motivation while I am working on things. Here is the reader's digest version of those photos.

I'll run down my game plan.

The interior is pretty rough and will need some major restoration. Then there are some odds and ends in the engine bay that I will need to track down and there will be a timing belt/water pump change coming soon. I am going to start with the interior just to make things liveable (I typically keep my cars impeccable inside so I'm dying inside every time I see this). Then I will probably take on some of the small things in the engine before jumping into the timing belt/water pump and related parts. Then I will do some paint correction (sunburned) and some restoration of the trim. Once I have done those things I will conclude the restoration part of the project and begin the build part.

I will update as things get done!

IMG_9633.JPG

Last edited:
Land Cruiser Heave has a full leather kit for the front and rear seats. Runs $580 per row.

On one hand... eek. On the other, you will make HUGE progress with each task. That'll be satisfying.

It looks like the overall body is good and the interior revamp, some plastidip and a little paint restoration will get you a good looking rig!

I might see if I could find a wrecked one and swap the whole interior. Welcome to the club!

I might see if I could find a wrecked one and swap the whole interior. Welcome to the club!

That was what I was thinking would be the easiest way out get things on track. Finding a wrecked one now is the hard part!

Look at my latest thread, I tore the entire interior apart and pulled the carpet to deepclean and shampoo, came out great.

Look at my latest thread, I tore the entire interior apart and pulled the carpet to deepclean and shampoo, came out great.
I've been reading on that one. Great inspiration for me to bring the carpet back to life. I made some great progress with the carpet already.

Another option for covers is iggee.com for about $350 for the first and second row. Not leather, but they look good. Imo

A couple members here have them.

So I was using a really small screw driver to pull this wood grain of... Did about 50% of it that way but every once and a while I'd get a nick. This is a tire iron for a motorcycle. It is working great due to the shape and not being so sharp!

It may be unconventional, but it does work!

IMG_20180814_164232.jpg

IMG_20180814_164240.jpg

Last edited:
Also the back carpet after step 1 of 2... That is some major progress in the carpet!

The rest of my work today has just been cleaning. This thing has been really gross but it is cleaning up fairly well.

IMG_20180814_091050.jpg

Hey, looks good man... What a score! Don't worry about that eroding seat foam; you can build that back up with Hobby Lobby Foam (1 inch and 1/4 inch thicknesses), 3M Adhesive spray, and an electric carving knife.

My wife did not want the LC when we got it. She loves it now. Actually, we have had offers to buy it while running around. When she mentioned she had a LC at her job, some of the guys there asked to go see it. She thought that was cool. Plus, it stands out among all the Expeditions in our family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom