PSA: Check your fan. Mine grenaded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr

SILVER Star
Threads
Moral of the story, consider replacing your fan as preventative maintenance if it even looks slightly yellow or discolored.

Last Wednesday I was on my way to Durango, CO from Pagosa Springs driving up a hill pushing 3500 rpms when I felt a clunk and saw debris in the mirror. At first, I thought I had hit something in the road but there was nothing there and the road was smooth.

Slightly after that first clunk, I started pulling off into the shoulder when I noticed something was out of balance. I hopped out of the cruiser and walked to the front to find all of the coolant gushing out.

After popping the hood, I saw plastic pieces all over and on top of the valve cover. I thought the overflow bottle had somehow exploded but quickly realized it was a fan blade sitting on the valve cover.

The radiator had been punctured in multiple places and what was left of the fan shroud was still bolted up.

After getting it towed back to my neighbor’s summer home in Pagosa, I was able to start tearing it down so I could examine it. The plastic was pretty yellow (which it has been for quite some time) and may have had some tiny hair line cracks in it (they didn’t really show up in pictures). The water pump was still tight, motor mounts were fine, etc.

No evidence of anything impacting the fan or rubbing against it. Everything that we saw points to just the plastic failing.

After 27 years and 410k miles, it turns out that fans can explode. This has been the first breakdown this cruiser has ever had and only second time it has been towed. Ironically towed by my neighbors’ truck both times. Previous time was after flooding it in a river.

Thankfully the guys at High Country Cruisers in Pagosa hooked me up with a replacement fan and shroud and autozone was able to get a radiator in in a couple days and I was able to resume my trip.

4A296115-8096-4065-B13C-69A2961CEBB3.jpeg

12C3819A-7372-40A3-9A51-ACA2ABD9191D.jpeg

D50D3954-3CF8-4376-A546-885FAB37BB62.jpeg

52DD3285-DD6A-4525-8BB3-343CF90E4657.jpeg

DEC4719D-0F04-4988-9A28-56D37630C0BE.jpeg

After 27 years and 410k miles, it turns out that fans can explode. ...

Yep, after 20+ yrs it's a good idea to at least inspect or better yet replace it. They are pretty cheap, IIRC, Cruiser Outfitters carries the Aisin replacements. The 1FZ, AISIN FNT004, 3FE, AISIN FNT018.

Were you running a modified fan clutch or completely stock OEM?

Yep, after 20+ yrs it's a good idea to at least inspect or better yet replace it. They are pretty cheap, IIRC, Cruiser Outfitters carries the Aisin replacements. The 1FZ, AISIN FNT004, 3FE, AISIN FNT018.

We sure do! We stock the 3FE & 1FZ variant as well as most 2F/3F/ B/H/1HZ series, etc :D

Yikes. So you push that high of RPM's on your 3fe. I thought I was pushing it at 3,000. I'll have to check my fan out next time I have it out.

Plastic does get brittle with age. Not sure that a color change is necessarily indicative of it being weak.

About the previous tow-in...Is it possible the fan was damaged during that incident?

never heard of this before, thanks, will be checking mine out thoroughly at next service in about 200 miles time

When I was replacing an alternator just a few months ago I placed my elbow on the fan slightly and it crumbled. I turned the fan just a tad and the 2nd and 3rd blade both broke off with just finger force applied. Yes, they go bad.

Cheap and easy to replace now vs. later.

Yikes. So you push that high of RPM's on your 3fe. I thought I was pushing it at 3,000. I'll have to check my fan out next time I have it out.
3500 rpm is not an issue for a 3FE. Keep it under 4K and you'll be fine.

Had the same thing happen on my 97 4Runner, but it didn't take out my radiator. I lost 3 of 6 blades and it ran as if running on 3 cylinders. Mine happened as I floored it to pass someone and the blades snapped off. All were on the skid plate. It happened on a Friday afternoon. When I got home (I was able to keep driving) I found an Aisin fan on Amazon and had it by that Sunday morning!

Last edited:
wish I had thought about this when I swapped my fan clutch...doh....

Definitely a PM item for 80 series, the newest 80 series in the US is 21 yrs old now.

Were you running a modified fan clutch or completely stock OEM?

Green hub with 15k cst fluid.

Plastic does get brittle with age. Not sure that a color change is necessarily indicative of it being weak.

About the previous tow-in...Is it possible the fan was damaged during that incident?

The previous tow in was over 60k miles ago so highly unlikely.

Last year the fan exploded on my '92 4Runner just as I accelerated from a stop, so it was pretty low RPM. I noticed it seemed to be missing the day before at low speed but smoothed out once it was going. That probably indicated a blade had already sheared. Now it has a new fan, shroud and radiator from the local dealer. I have a new fan in my to-do pile for my '97 80. I shouldn't procrastinate any more.

wish I had thought about this when I swapped my fan clutch...doh....

Timely post. Fan clutch was already on order and found Aisin fan on Amazon for ~ $35 last night. It’ll be here tomorrow :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom