BP-51 for the 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look, it turns out the current BP-51's are selling just fine.

While there may be "lingering confidence" to some/you?, simply put the OME products as a whole are still selling in greater volume than ever before both in the US an abroad. They now have two US warehouses receiving containers weekly to meet the demand in the Toyota realm and our sales in the recent years certainly parallel that trend. Keep in mind the US is just 5-10% of their global market.

As for confidence, I've literally driven around the world on their products, twice, zero failures. I don't need any more confidence in their offerings. They don't claim to build a rock-crawling or desert racing suspension and we certainly wouldn't offer it as such. If one is trying to use their components to do so... they will be disappointment and should direct said "lingering confidence" at whomever is selling them such a thing. Are there other fantastic options out there? You bet! I've also driven the length of the Americas on Icon components, desert raced with Kings and driven my personal vehicles that have everything from BP-51 to Bilsteins. There simply isn't a one-brand fits-all solution and I'm fully aware of that, but confidence is earned and some of those other shocks I've spent time with need far more rebuilding then the OME stuff, that is confidence ;)

The fact you'd increase your "confidence" at the option of a longer shock is laughable, they (ARB) don't sell suspension kits for the 80, they (ARB) sell components. They leave it to their end retailers (like myself) to assemble kits based on their own experiences. Thus the confidence/length relationship has nothing to do with ARB corporate. Perhaps your not confident with myself and the many retailers using the "L" in kits (some advertising even 6" kits with the L) is valid, take that up with whomever you buy your OME parts from directly. If it's us, my phone number is easy to find :D
Wow!

@cruiseroutfit can I get a quote on these shocks? I will end up with a roughly 3 inch lift all said and done

Dan,

You are going to love them.... I made a few small changes after a few drives and the adjustability is priceless. Being able to self tune to load is exactly what I was looking for.. I have a 2.5-3" Lift as well.

best regards,

John-

Dan,

You are going to love them.... I made a few small changes after a few drives and the adjustability is priceless. Being able to self tune to load is exactly what I was looking for.. I have a 2.5-3" Lift as well.

best regards,

John-

:cool:

Rears are installed and the setup is better than expected. Adjustments take some force and the rear requires that you are under the vehicle. The fronts can be accomplished from outside, but its difficult to adjust one handed. I'm using a strap wrench to hold tension in the opposite direction while adjusting.

For most people without varying load weight, these will be set and forget, but for those wanting to change with varying conditions it will take some effort.

Well worth it for me.

Best,

John

Thanks for the update!

A few more shipped out last week, thanks everyone!

Here are some settings to start with... I relate the suspension firmness or softness in comparison to a Lexus LX570 with adjustable suspension.

Initial Settings: Compression (4) - Rebound (5)
Results: Very "Floaty" even more than the LX570 on Comfort

Compression (5) - Rebound (6)
Results: Still "Floaty" for me and equivalent to the "Comfort" setting in the LX570

Compression (6) - Rebound (6)
Results: Now soft, but not floaty. This is a good place for me for a daily driving experience. Only asphalt testing on these settings as this is my daily driver settings. Compare to the "Middle" position on the LX570

My truck is Front ARB Bull Bar, Winch, Dual Battery - Rear is bumper with dual swing outs, ARB drawers, Sliders, 33.5" rear tire.

I'm running the 6/6 on both front and rear.

This upcoming weekend I'll be placing the Alu-Cab GEN III on top with the ARB fridge and some gear inside. I'll look to match the setting I have now as I like the way it feels.

Hope this helps

John-

Last edited:
Here are some settings to start with... I relate the suspension firmness or softness in comparison to a Lexus LX570 with adjustable suspension.

Initial Settings: Compression (4) - Rebound (5)
Results: Very "Floaty" even more than the LX570 on Comfort

Compression (5) - Rebound (6)
Results: Still "Floaty" for me and equivalent to the "Comfort" setting in the LX570

Compression (6) - Rebound (6)
Results: Now soft, but not floaty. This is a good place for me for a daily driving experience. Only asphalt testing on these settings as this is my daily driver settings. Compare to the "Middle" position on the LX570

My truck is Front ARB Bull Bar, Winch, Dual Battery - Rear is bumper with dual swing outs, ARB drawers, Sliders, 33.5" rear tire.

I'm running the 6/6 on both front and rear.

This upcoming weekend I'll be placing the Alu-Cab GEN III on top with the ARB fridge and some gear inside. I'll look to match the setting I have now as I like the way it feels.

Hope this helps

John-
Thanks for a real world review so far. I’ve been told the bp51’s are “soft” compared to similar high end shocks, like an icon. Some people like it, some don’t. I think i would like it in an 80, prob not in a 4runner.

Thanks for a real world review so far. I’ve been told the bp51’s are “soft” compared to similar high end shocks, like an icon. Some people like it, some don’t. I think i would like it in an 80, prob not in a 4runner.

My only comparison was my Radflow's... I liked them, but they were just too firm for me unless I was fully loaded. These are so nice..

My only comparison was my Radflow's... I liked them, but they were just too firm for me unless I was fully loaded. These are so nice..
Same as icon. Firm.

According to sierra expeditions guy, my fox ifp’s are the softest shock out there, mixed with icon springs which are also soft, equals a caddilac of a ride. I think instead of coilovers and a bunch of fab work, ill just get these shocks. Id prefer a custom valved king and could get more travel, but I don’t see the point for me. Its just a dirt road truck and secondary vehicle for grocerys or whatever.

Same as icon. Firm.

According to sierra expeditions guy, my fox ifp’s are the softest shock out there, mixed with icon springs which are also soft, equals a caddilac of a ride. I think instead of coilovers and a bunch of fab work, ill just get these shocks. Id prefer a custom valved king and could get more travel, but I don’t see the point for me. Its just a dirt road truck and secondary vehicle for grocerys or whatever.

We would love to help with any BP-51 needs, in stock and ready to ship as soon as tomorrow :D

We would love to help with any BP-51 needs, in stock and ready to ship as soon as tomorrow :D
Yeah, as much as I’d love to right now, i have a big hunt coming up i gotta save for and then the holidays right after(2 birthdays before Christmas and 2 right after ) so ill be looking around tax season if all goes as planned. If i can do it sooner ill get in touch.

My buddy is going to get bp51’s for his 2017 4runner(front only for now) with kdss. He is ready to pull the trigger if you sell those. He knows it takes a few weeks to get them according to everyone I’ve talked to.

Yeah, as much as I’d love to right now, i have a big hunt coming up i gotta save for and then the holidays right after(2 birthdays before Christmas and 2 right after ) so ill be looking around tax season if all goes as planned. If i can do it sooner ill get in touch.

My buddy is going to get bp51’s for his 2017 4runner(front only for now) with kdss. He is ready to pull the trigger if you sell those. He knows it takes a few weeks to get them according to everyone I’ve talked to.

Yup, we definitely do. Have him ring us!

These things look pretty damn legit

D22AC6FD-7E05-4D68-9F14-C0C7B81CA3B8.jpeg

He bought em from you. Said to me “they got a buyer for life, answered ALL my questions, those guys rock”. Haha. Good job guys.

Back to technical: anyone know how much stroke these have?

:cool: Thanks!

I'll post some open/closed numbers on Monday

I have a "special coupon" to apply.:rofl:

I'm about to make the plunge......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom