FJ55 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fj55landcruiser.com
What Reno shop or shops would you recommend for FJ55 project?

Hard Part is done:
1. SBC 350 conversion done
2. 350/208 installed
3. SO/SR done on Dana 44 front/GM 10 bolt rear
4. Body restored
5. OEM radiator recored and ready for install

Need completed
1. Dual Batteries with isolator wired in into OEM Harness
2. Lokar throttle cable installed
3. Rear GM drum brakes rebuilt
4. Brakes plumbed
5. Drive lines ordered and installed
6. Rear shock mounts fabricated and shocks installed
7. Finish plumbing fuel lines from tank to mechanical pump
8. Install radiator and install lines
9. Exhaust

Will post some pics later

Disclaimer: I have not yet availed any of these shops of their services, but they have good reputations in the community.

I'd talk to Folbeck 4WD in Reno. I have spoken to him about my 40 and he has experience with Land Cruisers. Dr. Smash Designs in Carson City was recommended to me by fellow club members. You could also check out High Rollin Customs in Sparks. They do complete restores, restomods, swaps, etc.

I would not use Folbeck. Based on the pile of receipts that the PO of my 85 FJ60 gave me, he had everything done there. I thimk he paid waaaay to much for simple stuff.

Here are some pics

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

You could also check out High Rollin Customs in Sparks. They do complete restores, restomods, swaps, etc.

Thanks. Good friend also recommended Adam at High Rollin Customs.

I would not use Folbeck. Based on the pile of receipts that the PO of my 85 FJ60 gave me, he had everything done there. I thimk he paid waaaay to much for simple stuff.

I have heard same thing about Folbeck.

Nice rig.

Make sure you have good clearance on those batteries mounted up high like that. Things move around sometimes. Hate to see you weld your hood with a battery post.

Well shoot! Now I gotta find someone else to do my power steering install. Good to know before I go though.
I would talk to Eric, Dr Smash. He is a good guy, very talented, but very busy.

Power steering install is one of the tougher DIY mods. If the 55's are like the 40's you need to cut a hole in the front cross member forthe connection from the steering wheel to the gear box. The trick there is to bridge the hole so you don't loose strength in the cross member. The second challange is to get a proper weld on the adapter plate that forms the mount for the gear box. This is welded to the part of the frame that extends beyond the front cross member. IMPORTANT make sure whoever does the work sleeves the bolts to prevent crushing the plate.

Even if you don't do the work yourself I would read as much as you can here on mud about the mod to make sure whoever does it does it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom