Securing a spare tire on a carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just installed a 4x4 labs bumper and moved the spare onto the carrier. I know locked lugs are pretty easy to defeat so I didn’t know if anybody had any options for securing it? My brother in laws wrangler had a neat padlock setup but I can’t find anything similar for the cruiser

Bicycle cable lock. Anything you use is just to keep honest folks honest.
A thief will take it either way. Bolt cutters, socket, hammer, and a cordless impact will defeat 95% of setups in less than a minute.

Bicycle cable lock. Anything you use is just to keep honest folks honest.
A thief will take it either way. Bolt cutters, socket, hammer, and a cordless impact will defeat 95% of setups in less than a minute.

Yep, lots of them out there, search spare tire lock. I hate tire locks, can't count the number of times that the key wasn't available when a tire needs to be changed, big entertainment on the trail. Have never seen one stolen, and most we are around have 37" so $$$, but maybe we aren't that high of a crime area? If you lock the lug, it's one bolt to get the mount star off, if you weld that, it's two bolts to get the bracket off, if you weld that, it's one nut to get the whole swing off... If they want it, they are going to get it! Personally I would prefer they just took the tire, not mess other stuff up and I have insurance, so new tire, bonus! :hillbilly:

Full disclosure, my spare rides inside, so out of sight and locked. But some that we hang with are exposed, never been a problem.

A standard part of our new rig wheeling prep is to remove any lug locks, discard and replace with regular lug nuts. Did I mention, hate those damn things, far more likely to cause problems than be a benefit. :hillbilly:

I totally agree on the lug locks - thanks for the reminder to remove mine. I installed before a trip to the Bay Area couple months ago. They're only useful in cities - no wheeling challenges there - but bigger nasties with lug wrenches await...:cautious:

Just installed a 4x4 labs bumper and moved the spare onto the carrier. I know locked lugs are pretty easy to defeat so I didn’t know if anybody had any options for securing it? My brother in laws wrangler had a neat padlock setup but I can’t find anything similar for the cruiser
My Kaymar tire swing came with a simple locking system. Surprized that 4x4 Labs didn't include a way to lock your spare. Here's some images of a Kaymar lock:

vo787l.jpg

spare-wheel-carrier-LED-4WD-camp-light-mount.gif

The plate that you slide over the spare wheel before installing lug nuts has a bar welded that protrudes through the back to allow a padlock to secure it. As it's been said, it only keeps the honest from getting ideas. Have you contacted 4x4 Labs for assistance?

I bought a '95 that has a Kaymar with that lock. Of course, it had a lock on it with no key. Took less than a minute to cut off. I won't be putting a replacement lock on there. For me, I feel that it is more likely that the lock will make my life difficult than the thief's.

My Kaymar tire swing came with a simple locking system.

Knock the cap off, remove the nut, abscond with the whole arm, cut the silly lock at your leisure. pretty much worthless expenditure!:hillbilly:

I bought a '95 that has a Kaymar with that lock. Of course, it had a lock on it with no key. Took less than a minute to cut off. I won't be putting a replacement lock on there. For me, I feel that it is more likely that the lock will make my life difficult than the thief's.
To each their own. Whatever you're comfortable with. I've had my Kaymar for almost 20 yrs now. It has a small Master padlock on it. I have my own system to keep a key available at all times that I won't mention on here. I also keep a Rugged Ridge spare tire cover (I know -heep brand...argh:rolleyes:) on it that helps to distract attention as well as protect from sun damage. I was surprized at how even a 35" tire is kept secure and handy. Biggest bother is lifting it on the carrier when rotating tires.

Knock the cap off, remove the nut, abscond with the whole arm, cut the silly lock at your leisure. pretty much worthless expenditure!:hillbilly:
I've often fantasized that exact scene...lol:eek:. I'm sure it could happen, just praying it doesn't. Not losing any sleep, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom