Builds Custer’s Saggin’ Wagon Gets A Reboot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Cam

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.mosleymotors.com
This is my first thread (of many, hopefully ;)) as a Supporting Vendor here on ‘mud. Huge thanks to @woody , not only for the opportunity, but for being an enabler all these years. The resource he’s created a space for here is invaluable.

In slow motion, we are going to give @Custer ’s bone stock 1985 FJ60 a new lease on life. This sluggish saggin’ wagon will get a little more pep in its step with a modern LS drivetrain and new shoes & suspension to tame the double helping of horsepower.

Like they say... this thread is worthless without pics...

The victim:

78A64BCC-6CA0-4CDB-A5E9-57FB55CA8476.jpeg

A little backstory...

Custer, aka Sheldon, bought this super clean, bone stock September ‘85 out of Montana a few years ago, w/2K on a freshly rebuilt 2F. At 4K, one of the cylinders started fouling the plug, and the rebuilder decided to warranty the engine.

During the wait, he decided to go to the dark side and bought a low-mileage 2008 Sierra to harvest the drivetrain. When the 2F came back from the rebuilder, he put it up for sale:

SOLD - SOLD -- 2F FJ60 Engine (Remanufactured Long Block)

@wngrog bought the motor for Ole Blue and had it shipped to MS, where a few of us helped him install it along with TBI fuel injection...

Blue '84 gets a fresh start- AFI EFI and more

Last edited:
What does all of that have to do with this tale?

A few months later, Sheldon decides he’d rather let someone have the fun of installing the 5.3, and asked Nolen if he knew anyone on this side of the country that did swaps.

He mentioned that I just took an early retirement from my Mechanical Engineer job to do just this sort of thing and passed along my contact info.

Custer read my swap thread and decided he wanted to take the chance and be the first swap customer. I mentioned several things I would improve/do different and we decided to incorporate them all into this build.

Fun fact:

Our trucks are both September ‘85s, just a week or two apart by the VIN number. They likely crossed the Pacific together and are reunited again, at least for a little bit. Now they will both have the same transplanted drivetrain, a Gen IV 5.3/4L60E from a 2WD Sierra truck.

Maybe we can race after it’s done :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Subscribed!

'Nuf talking. Get on with the project already!

As I mentioned early, I took an “early retirement” from my Engineering job, not to open a shop or start a Land Cruiser business, but for a change of pace and a chance to be a stay-at-home mom and get more quality time with my family. Maybe pick up a few Cruiser projects in my spare time.

That plan quickly changed as reality set in. If you want the full story, and want to check out one such project, pour a beer and check out the SS Minnow thread.

In the meantime, we need to pull the transmission & tcase out of the 60 so we could get everything ready for the new drivetrain. The engine was not there, of course, but everything else was still there.

6C43F793-E05F-4DBD-93B0-6A13BBA5F7DF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom