Is there an import to USA thread with costs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just brought in a container with x2 LHD Non-US spec Cruisers in it that I sourced and inspected myself before purchase.

I am $7,800 in shipping and clearing US Customs. The last expense right now is inland shipping here in the USA and titling, for titling I will be paying 6% sales tax on what o bought the trucks for.

Anyone that thinks imported trucks are overpriced has never imported one. I will be more than $4k per truck in shipping, duties, fees and titling.

FYI, I imported a truck from NZ in 2002 andit cost me $2500 all up. I did it again from Australia in 2012 and it cost close to $6k with inland shipping on both ends. HLS, The Terrorism Act, etc etc is why the cost to import has gone up so high.

Cheers

FYI, I imported a truck from NZ in 2002 andit cost me $2500 all up. I did it again from Australia in 2012 and it cost close to $6k with inland shipping on both ends. HLS, The Terrorism Act, etc etc is why the cost to import has gone up so high.

Cheers

This is good info. I imported mine from Oz in 2007 and my costs were similar to your 2002 costs. As I've looked at other trucks overseas I've mentally only been adding that $2500-$3000 cost to the purchase price. Good to know that I should be adding a bigger number in my calculations.

GLWS of the trucks!

This is good info. I imported mine from Oz in 2007 and my costs were similar to your 2002 costs. As I've looked at other trucks overseas I've mentally only been adding that $2500-$3000 cost to the purchase price. Good to know that I should be adding a bigger number in my calculations.

GLWS of the trucks!

You should always be ready for the worst. That $7800 went up to over $10k. Secondary customs inspections, port storage fees due to secondary inspection, THC and more. It can go smooth or it can get real nasty real fast and you have little to no room to argue and no choice but to pay up or it just gets more and more expensive.

I been running a spread sheet on it all since day one and it all adds up.

Cheers

This is a good read guys thanks for the info

Here she is at the port.
20180316_103951.jpg

Did you use a certain company? What was the process like?

On the Australia side I used Ever Global International. They were superb, I drove my car to Melbourne handed the keys to the folks there and that was it.

For USA side I used seko logistics as my broker. I will not use them again. They were a bit clueless on some aspects and never sent me my customs forms. Luckily the customs guys were nice and were able to find me in the system.

Oh and expect to pay 25% duty tax on anything with an open bed.

Actually, if you don't know how to bid a Japanese car in Auction, you can ask bits of help from the dealers, there are some dealers that will take a few costs to support you. It is better for someone does not know how to read Japanese documents.

Here is my import cost list coming from Costa Rica

COSTA RICA TOTALS
PURCHASE PRICE - $5,671.08
POWER OF ATTORNEY - $119.32
PAPERWORK MESSENGER - $18.70
LAWYER- OWNERSHIP CHANGE - $56.71
NATIONAL REGISTRY - OWNERSHIP CHANGE - $49.14
LAWYER FEE-EXIT PERMIT - $13.26
EXPORT REGISTRATION - $30.00
EXPORT DOCUMENTATION - $175.00
EXIT PERMIT STAMPS - $18.62
SUB-TOTAL
$6,151.83

SHIPPING COSTS

SHARED CONTAINER - $1,500.00
LOAD STRAP CAR - $300.00
COURIER DOCUMENTS - $140.00
TERMINAL HANDLING FEE TAMPA - $100.00
TAMPA TO AUSTIN - $800.00
SUB-TOTAL
$2,840.00

US CUSTOMS FEES

CUSTOMS DUTY - $60.70
CF3299 - $125.00
ISF: IMP SEC FILING - $35.00
ISF CUSTOMS BOND - $40.00
EXAM - $107.50
SUB-TOTAL
$368.20

TEXAS TITLE FEES

TITLE TRANSLATION - $40.00
SAFETY INSPECTION - $14.50
VTR-68-A INSPECTION - $0.00
TITLE APP FEE - $13.00
TEXAS MOBILITY FUND - $20.00
SALES TAX FEE - $90.00
WINDSHIELD STICKER - $50.75
REG FEE - DPS - $1.00
COUNTY ROAD FEE - $10.00
CHILD SAFETY FUND - $1.50
AUTOMATION FEE - $1.00
SUB-TOTAL
$241.75

GRAND TOTAL TO GET A BJ40 FROM COSTA RICA INTO TEXAS AND TITLED IS:
$9,601.78

I think that will be really helpful for people to plan their purchases. Thanks for sharing @Mr Cimarron and enjoy the BJ40! Look forward to seeing pictures of it.

How about parts, I guess big parts like a 105 frame and suspension what do you guys think that would cost? I'm just thinking now as I live in a very bad rust area and think it would be better all around to just change out the chassis than fix it. Plus I love my truck and would love a solid axle up front on a 100.

How about parts, I guess big parts like a 105 frame and suspension what do you guys think that would cost? I'm just thinking now as I live in a very bad rust area and think it would be better all around to just change out the chassis than fix it. Plus I love my truck and would love a solid axle up front on a 100.

Think you would have issues bringing in a frame with a VIN as parts particularly one that isn't twenty-five years old.

Think you would have issues bringing in a frame with a VIN as parts particularly one that isn't twenty-five years old.

Is there a VIN on a frame? I asked an importer about this and was told as long as I don't bring in the engine it shouldn't be a problem. I was just wanting to know if anyone had ever done this.

Since Specter sells half cuts, which are expressly for engine conversions, I would be curious to understand why your importer gave you that information.

Is there a VIN on a frame? I asked an importer about this and was told as long as I don't bring in the engine it shouldn't be a problem. I was just wanting to know if anyone had ever done this.

There's usually a VIN/Frame # on the right front of the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom