1990 LJ78 Prado Dieseling / Runaway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. First, I’m new here, so thank you for any help you can maybe provide. I’ve owned my 90 LJ78 for just over a year. About six months ago, this started.

(Copy/pasted from my email to ACC Garage in Atlanta)

Good morning. I have a 1990 LJ78 with a 2.4 2LTE diesel motor. It currently has 180km on the all original motor. While I know it’s not the most popular motor, it has worked great for me until a few months ago. I have had an issue with dieseling / runaway. Basically, if you give it gas while it is warm and at idle while in park or neutral, it will raise the RPMs to 4 to 5000. There is no way to stop this, not even turning off the ignition or disconnecting the batteries. The only way to stop the dieseling is to starve it of fuel or air (I’ve only ever done it with air.). I have replaced the turbo because the thought process was oil was getting behind the turbo and causing a secondary source of fuel. However, that has not helped. I had Peter Merrium look at it, and he didn’t know if it was the turbo, the injectors, the ECM, the spill control valve, the injector pump, or any other possible source.

With all that said, I’m excited to hear what you all on this forum think, and I’m open to any options you may have in terms of parts, or local service (I’m located in North Georgia.). I’ve been on this site for over a year, and I’m glad I finally joined. ☺️

@BigD1976 , I believe @hypoman had a similar problem a few months back with regard to not being able to shut the 2LTE OFF. I don't believe there was a issue with a runaway RPM, but he may be able to lend some insight. His thread is still "open" as in it doesn't say if it was ever resolved.

2LTE wont turn off-need to understand wiring! PLEASE!

The fact the engine won't shut off may have something to do with the Fuel Cutout Solenoid and whether or not that is "talking" with the ignition switch. Just a SWAG there.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Sounds to me like a failed Spill Control Valve. It's the part that governs fuel delivery quantity. If it's adjusted wrong or has failed in some way, this problem can happen.

Nick, Is the Split Control Valve only on the 2LTE? or the 2LTII also? Just curious.

It's only on the 2LTE. It's mounted in the same spot as the fuel cut solenoid in the 2LT-II though (in the pump head).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom