'01 Rebuilt Transmission Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're in the market for an '00-'05 cruiser under 200k miles. We've read that some of these have transmission issues. We found (what we think) is a great car, but it has a rebuilt transmission. We're thinking this could be good given the research on potential transmission issues, but we'd like to get some other opinions.

Is it a bad ideas to but a cruiser with a rebuilt transmission? What would determine if the rebuild fixed the issues?

Any other things to look out for?

You only hear the bad things on the internet (usually). Some late 1999-2000 100's suffered early transmission failure. Toyota fixed this problem by changing suppliers of their hard parts. The rebuild is only as good as the rebuilder is my outlook. I would have no problem purchasing a 100 with a rebuilt transmission, especially if it included transmission shop receipts and other servicing records. If it looks good , price is right and checks out then go for it.

I'm at close to 300,000 Miles on the original transmission and it has zero issues.

If it's a Land cruiser outside of my2000, and needed a rebuild before 300k miles, then that transmission has been ragged on with some terrible driving habits.

That should be the A343F transmission. Known to be quite durable.

As mentioned above.... a 'few' (during a certain window of manufacture) suffered early failure. I would not have any problem with a well 'rebuilt' transmission (more likely an overhaul).

My 80 series has the same transmission...and at over 300K miles still works perfectly. Same for my LX (same transmission) with over 210K miles.

If it's a Land cruiser outside of my2000, and needed a rebuild before 300k miles, then that transmission has been ragged on with some terrible driving habits.

Or was never serviced. That's the problem with automatic transmissions, most people don't think about fluids or filters/screens until there is a problem and at that time it's too late...

Or was never serviced. That's the problem with automatic transmissions, most people don't think about fluids or filters/screens until there is a problem and at that time it's too late...

^^^^^ Yep. The "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" group don't fare too well when it comes to transmissions.

We don't know what the cause of the transmission failure was in this case, but a properly rebuilt transmission (particularly a 343) should be reliable. I would consider it a plus...when vehicle shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom