Anyone here ever replaced the entire carpet in their Hundy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a neglected 2001 LX with 130K miles for cheap, exterior wise it's a solid 9.5/10, interior, this is like 3/10. I'm not even sure if this is feces or vomit, but her kids did a number on the carpet and i have no desire to try and clean it. I am going to replace the entire carpet, how bad of a job is this?

43530605942_43258e80d6_h.jpg

42673130425_9aeb5863d5_b.jpg

Its not a bad job, but I will say this. OEM carpet is like 800$ My carpet looked like that as well, I removed it and mixed up some laundry soap and water, sprayed all the really bad areas, let sit for 10 mins and hit it with a finger nail brush. Afterwards I used a low powered electric pressure washer and pressure washed the whole carpet. I was amazed at what it did, while its not good as new, its probably 90%. I swear the water running off from the pressure washer looked like someone was pouring a coke out.

I initially planned on replacing the carpet, but since I had it out I figured I would give it a shot at pressure washing it. Was worth it to me, I spend the 800$ on sliders instead ;)

Nuts and bolts and clips. New OEM Carpet NLA, so your going used or custom. I'm not even sure anyone has offered in the aftermarket...

I found one locally off of a wrecked 99 LX that looked brand new, should fit an 01 i assume? @dinnertime that is a great idea, i guess i'll pull the carpet out and hit it with the strongest cleaning agent i could find and see how it goes. I just looked at it, remove all the seats and looks like i can just pull it up.

If the carpet isn't ripped, pull it out and give it a good powerwash. Mine was dirty as hell when I first got it and the powerwashing made it just like new. I used Folex spot remover to pre-treat the stains.

If the carpet isn't ripped, pull it out and give it a good powerwash. Mine was dirty as hell when I first got it and the powerwashing made it just like new. I used Folex spot remover to pre-treat the stains.

Do you have pics of the nastiness before you washed it out? Mine are not stains, they're crusted up, petrified turd if you will. I have sprayed it with industrial strength degreaser and it did nothing to soften up.

Do you have pics of the nastiness before you washed it out? Mine are not stains, they're crusted up, petrified turd if you will. I have sprayed it with industrial strength degreaser and it did nothing to soften up.
Unfortunately I don't have any pics but I would say mine looked almost as bad as yours. You really need to saturate the carpet with water to get the dirt out. The Folex does wonders for carpet stains. You may need to do several passes of the pressure washer. I rented one from Home Depot and knocked it out in one day. Good luck!

The most impressive carpet/interior cleanup that I recall seeing, was in this thread by @bamachem :

4th UZJ - This time with an L on the grill

Used a mix of Woolite, Arm & Hammer Laundry Booster (powder), Pinesol, and warm water in a spray bottle to clean everything with - from carpet to leather to plastic trim pieces.

For carpet, I vacuumed up as much of the dirt, food, dog hair, etc, then used a bissel carpet machine to shampoo using the cocktail mix above. Followed that up with a pass via the bissel with clear hot water. Worked great!

(unfortunately most of the pictures are broken due to PhotoBucket)

I think @reevesci was bringing in vinyl carpet kits, i think there was a supplier change and might be available later this year from Trail Tailor

I have replaced carpet in classic cars, etc.. and the quality is never as good as OEM. I really think that carpet is salvageable. It is a fairly big job, lots to take apart the whole truck, take carpet out and clean.

Other than find a used carpet from a donor vehicle, another option would be to take it to a detailer to try and clean that carpet, they use extractors, etc... to pull the dirt out.

I have decided to splurge and get mine done next week. It doesn't look too bad, but I know there is 18 years of dirt and dust in there. I plan to pull a bunch of the plastic trim myself in the areas it is stained the worst so the detailer can really get at it.

My local detailer charges $135 with a disclaimer that there are upcharges for really bad carpet or pet hair.

My next day off I’m going to take the carpet out and soak the dirty spots in cleaning agents then try to hit it with my pressure wash and see what happens. It’s really hot here so I guess just laying it out under the sun for a couple days and it’ll dry off.

I use either ZEP commercial carpet cleaner (when I can find it) or Purple Power to clean all the cruiser carpets when I get one. Spray the 50/50 solution on the carpet (lightly soak) and let it sit for about an hour, longer is better. Scrub the dirty spots and hose/lightly power wash off. Let dry.

I'd say 85-90% of what your showing will come out relatively easy.

The vinyl kits I imports are formed off an OEM floor pan, but you have to "work" them to get a nice fit. Mainly because the material is much thicker and stiffer. If you are not OCD and have patience it is not something I recommend.

J

Last edited:
We used to have an '03 UZJ100 that we bought out of Colorado for my wife, and the carpet looked ruined from neglect, the whole truck smelled like wet dogs. I took the truck interior apart, cleaned the whole thing with a solution of Simple Green (first), then Resolve, then powerwashed the whole thing. Once it dried (Texas summer, so it was quick) I spread baking soda liberally all over it and let it sit in the garage for a while, then I vacuumed the baking soda off. I regret not taking pictures because the results were nothing short of incredible, the water coming off it was like @dinnertime described on his, it looked like sewer water and smelled like a dog's butt. Other than a few minor stains that we couldn't spot treat out, the carpet came out so clean that we repeated the whole process with the seat belts a few weeks later. HUGE difference and it cost maybe $40 in supplies and a couple of weekends of hard work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom