The Peregrinations & Misadventures of Brigadier D+/ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did Onur do?

Congrats on the ride, not that I really understand it.

Is this western or English?

And is it really a race or more of an event?

You got that?

IMG_20180609_160315633_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180610_091947134_HDR.jpg

Lynn Hartman in center of photo. 75 years young. 10000 endurance miles. Rode with her the entire time.
IMG_20180610_091945072_HDR.jpg

This gentleman won the ride.
IMG_20180610_063606003_HDR.jpg

How did Onur do?

It's a race. You can use whatever kinda saddle you want. Most people don't use Western saddles; they typically use English or endurance saddles.

How did Onur do?

Onur is my hero. Nothing new there.

But now he's Briggy's hero. This horse never drinks before 20 miles and Onur had him drinking at 10. Which is kind of a big deal.

IMG_20180610_091951858_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180609_194113892.jpg

When your people drive you hours from home, and then you realize the cows have followed you.
IMG_20180609_200626656.jpg

I bought this pic off the ride photog and it just came in today's mail.
IMG_20180618_154226004.jpg

Last edited:
Had a good scare tonight with Brig. Dave, the man who owns the farm he's at, called me because he was making choking noises, refusing to eat, and was stretched out, seeming to be experiencing belly pain.

I was headed west to meet Onur in Colorado tomorrow night, but Onur thought I should stay close to KC in case I needed to fly out in the AM. So I stopped three hours short of where I wanted to be.

The vet came out and tubed mineral oil into him and the blockage, which was lower in his esophagus, passed within minutes. He went right back to eating.

Dave is supposed to call first thing in the AM and then I will again head West. And honeymoon should be back on schedule.

My amazing husband offered to fly to KC and drive the rig home so I could fly back to care for Brig. <3

Glad he's okay. Good on Dave for keeping a close eye on him.

I'd been wondering where Brig's spot on the raft was...

Glad he's okay. Good on Dave for keeping a close eye on him.

I'd been wondering where Brig's spot on the raft was...

Yes, and Dave called this morning and he seems fine. I was so relieved!

Well, he doesn't have a spot on the boat but maybe he should...

Briggy's vet wanted me to put him on a Purina supplement called Outlast instead of testing and treating for ulcers, which will run into the thousands of dollars. She thinks he might be at the beginning stages of ulcers (70% of endurance horses have them) at the very least but this supplement could rectify the issue before it gets worse. Outlast is supposed to be amazing---incredible results during the trial and great reviews from customers.

Good luck so far, and here are pics from July 9 and then today. He seems to be gaining weight finally and is brighter and eating more vigorously, dragging me around when I go over to hand-graze him. Pretty impressive!

IMG_20180709_163354818_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180722_153326063_HDR.jpg

I finally got our vet card in the mail.

Normally riders received this at the awards ceremony, but we completed the ride so fast that I knew it would be a lot of waiting around before it started, which would be bad for Briggy.

As one of the top ten finishers, I also could have presented him for Best Condition, which he may have won except that he had a B for skin tenting, an indication that he was dehydrated, and the vet's impression of him was an A-. I knew other horses probably had flawless vet cards to start with so it wasn't worth it to stand him for it.

He did very well. We completed this in 3.5 hours, because the 45 minute vet check counts as part of your time.

He took good care of himself, evidenced by his hydration level (cap and jug refill and skin tenting) and gut sounds. He was ready for this ride and the vet who evaluated him said he could have easily done the 50.
IMG_20180725_221143071.jpg

I was really worried that ulcers could have meant the end of his endurance career. At 22, I supposed that wasn't the end of the world. I was on the phone with my vet, who said it was ridiculous to be thinking that far ahead, and that if we mitigate the issue now Brig should be good to go.

This is Karen Chaton, who is riding Briggy's half brother Bo (who looks exactly like him). Bo is 24, has 8000 miles, and is doing the Tevis Cup this weekend, one of the most difficult 100 mile races in the world.
Screenshot_20180725-223908.png

I know Briggy has a lot of miles left in him, and hope that we can do some endurance in 2019.

Beyond his competitive abilities, I am so lucky he is mine. I have had 11 horses, and he is my "once in a lifetime."

IMG_20180609_183727_719.jpg

I was really worried that ulcers could have meant the end of his endurance career. At 22, I supposed that wasn't the end of the world. I was on the phone with my vet, who said it was ridiculous to be thinking that far ahead, and that if we mitigate the issue now Brig should be good to go.

This is Karen Chaton, who is riding Briggy's half brother Bo (who looks exactly like him). Bo is 24, has 8000 miles, and is doing the Tevis Cup this weekend, one of the most difficult 100 mile races in the world.View attachment 1752789

I know Briggy has a lot of miles left in him, and hope that we can do some endurance in 2019.

Beyond his competitive abilities, I am so lucky he is mine. I have had 11 horses, and he is my "once in a lifetime."

View attachment 1752791

11751648997956435_smMbKXSC_f.jpg

Briggy D!!!!
IMG_20180729_143041669.jpg

Barn owner Dave says: do you know Briggy stops eating to let me put on his fly mask and sheet? What a sweet guy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom