WIsh me luck. Pulled the trigger on this '86 today... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carpet kits aren’t too expensive and you’ll lose your rear window controls on the console if you pull it for a bench.

Gumby,

Are you still knee deep in hookers and gin up there? LOL

You could always extend that wiring harness up to the radio if you have empty knockouts.

You could always extend that wiring harness up to the radio if you have empty knockouts.
Like this? I went to the u-pull and harvested a section of harness with both connectors on it.

Window switch before:

Window switch before-sm.jpg

Window switch with extended harness:

dash harness extention-sm.JPG

Dash with switches moved:

Relocated switches-sm.jpg

If I do that, I'm also considering making a shorter plastic console, keeping the switches in the location. Probably not hard, looking at how the present console attaches. Not going to chop up the present console to do it. Anyway, the interior is a low priority at this point.

Why a bench? Might be handy on a date to the drive-in :)

Not much done last week. We had a pretty incredible storm, and we still have fallen trees and limbs all over, with traffic constrictions still as of yesterday. Everyone seems to have the power back though. My truck was delivered just a few hours before the nastiness hit- kind of nerve-racking.

I have identified four things to do starting out.

1) Brakes. I need to get the new discs and pads on, probably check the rear shoes. It's got "just" 153K but I wonder if it would be smart to change out the front wheel bearings as well. Opinions?

2) Auto shifter. It seems to work more like a switch then anything with detents. The FSM shows a nut in the linkage in the shifter, so I'm thinking adjusting and tightening should solve that.

3) Lighting. Don't know if anyone noticed it in the photos, but there are two toggle switches- one in the dash and one next to the hood latch pull. Dash switch controls the headlights- and only the headlights. Stalk switch works on the markers. Backup lights work with the lower toggle. Kind of Rube Goldberg. I'm thinking a dead relay maybe for the headlights and bad switch/connection down under for the backups. It's weird- not sure why these lights were rigged like this (?)

4) Fluids- The TC and diffs for sure. A/t fluid looks tired too. Brown/pink, but not opaque and far from black. probably a radiator flush as well.

Last edited:
One question. My VIN has a "62" for the model number. Everything I've found so far says "61" is the model number. Anyone know why? Thanks.

One question. My VIN has a "62" for the model number. Everything I've found so far says "61" is the model number. Anyone know why? Thanks.
No. What you are looking for is something with this format, which should be on the engine firewall tag: RN60LV-MDEA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom