coolant smell horrible (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have mostly new cooling system minus heater core. I recently decided to try more water and water wetter in mixture to see what temps do. I drained 2 gallons or so from petcock of bottom of radiator and added distilled h20 and ww. Drove across town at hwy speeds and temps were a little high (196-212). When I got home the smell of coolant was strong in the garage and even house. Levels were high and can't see any leaks. Would I get an air pocket from just draining radiator or is this smell common with diluting at first or what? Smell is strong and would think I had a leak but literally everything is like new.
When I originally replaced parts I had the gasses and smells with huge air pockets that were a PIA to get right.

New radiator? Water pump weep hole? PHH?

Just noticed a small pin hole leak in my brass 3 row, and somehow the radiator is twisted...

New everything but heater core in last two years/ 10k miles. No smell in cab just outside so I'm inclined to think core is fine.

Drove across town at hwy speeds and temps were a little high (196-212).

I'd be more concerned about those temps. Something's very wrong.

Also, seems like at this point you really have no idea what your water/coolant/water wetter ratios are? That's not good either.

Reactions: RFB

Also, seems like at this point you really have no idea what your water/coolant/water wetter ratios are? That's not good either.

^^^^^ Agree with @CJF

Maybe the better question is what lead you to replace everything?

I replaced everything when I did the engine rebuild. Those temps are coming out of the head going into radiator at the hottest point. Normally don't have temps that high unless on long grade. I'm at 6k feet in 100 degree heat. Today I drove a little with ac on full blast never got over 203.
I don't have any idea on ratios but I was under the assumption water with wetter cools better than antifreeze. Was probably close to 50 50 before I diluted it with 1.5 gallons of water and wetter.

Where do you measure your temps and when are you concerned?
I also forgot I never did the fan clutch either, not sure if this is culprit but pump, rad, hoses, phh, heater valve, and do hickie in glove box are new.

Fan clutch is a must to do...its part of the equation

Yes, do the fan clutch.

Water wetter is mostly surfactant. It reduces surface tension so the water makes better contact with the metal surfaces and increases heat transfer. It says on the label that it works best with straight water. That is because most standard coolants like Toyota Red or Prestone green already have a lot of surfanctant already in them. Those folks aren't stupid with the designed coolants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom