New FZJ80 Owner Needs Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone- first off this forum is awesome. Helped me prep in buying my first (1994) lancruiser and I’m so stoked to get this thing built! First of all, my Steering knuckles need serious resealing. Considering how much has to be taken apart at the front wheels does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading anything from the knuckles to rotors to axels while they are out getting resealed? Seems like now would be a good chance to throw in any aftermarket that adds to the longevity of the front end unless going with OEM is solid and just fine. I do not plan on rock crawling but will do some off reading on trails, sand and off the beaten path while out hunting. Second issue I have is that when I start the car every now and then once I put in Drive it crawls at a snails pace even if floored. This morning I had to drop it in L instead of D just to make it up my driveway. I’m going to be building this out so if anyone has any recommendations on making this a rock solid performer I would love any recommendations! Thanks All!

5777B707-6AC1-4F22-831E-D9DC0EE1461C.jpeg

Honestly stock is pretty good for the front end unless your going to get into extreme situations and/or run large (35"+) tires. Just go through and replace all the bearings and seals with good quality units either OEM or from one of the several vendors on here that's sells them. Koyo seems to be the bearing brand of choice. Do take the time to check over all the components (like the birfields and bronze bushings through the knuckle, sorry don't know the name) and be sure nothing is worn out.

Do the RPM's go up but the car just doesn't move? If so your transmission may be slipping. If the RPM's drop way down or the truck seems like it's going to stall there may be a vacuum leak.

Thanks for the recommendations! The RPMs don’t seem to climb as a matter of fact. The rig just seems to move very slowly forward. It doesn’t seem like it is going to stall although the previous owner did mention that it did once or twice after sitting for a long time (1 year). This morning when it did it I just downshifted from drive to low and it moved like a champ.

Personal preference of course, but a lot of folks call that thing bolted to your front bumper a "damage multiplier"....love the color of your new truck!

My guess would be transmission solenoid trying to start it off in 2nd gear. The 93/94 trucks are bad about that. 200 bucks or so,to get all new ones. Takes about 2 hours or so to install them and clean everything up.

Looks beautiful! Congrats! Sounds like a transmission solenoid. But my remote diagnosis skills are questionable:)

i don’t think it has the second gear start on a 94 but newbie here. It does have an ECT button and that has been engaged as a matter of fact as I see the pwr light on the dash but I thought that just allows shift points to be higher. There is an OD switch on the side of the lever but by pushing it I het now lights on the dash or anything. Great point on the solenoid! Ill try that! I just did a complete fluid flush and until I got home had no problem but as soon as I powered off it started leaking steadily by the bell housing. Oh the issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom