OEM Headlamps vs... what other options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been knee deep in the threads.

I should probably throw some cash back at the site even if this 80-thing turns-out to cost me a small fortune. Whatever the case maybe the forum is vital to the community and I am grateful its here.

Well, the wife and I are discussing buying a second 80 now that we made it to the Pacific North West. We plan to die here--cannot imagine a more beautiful region in the entire United States.... but back to the 80, specifically her unlocked sofa;

We hit a sudden downpour back along a HWY canyon pass. The OEM headlamps suck (compared to where light tech has headed since ’96). I kid not, at 45mph the rain brought a virtual white-out looking out the windshield. Born and raised in So Cal so that whole sudden blinding rain was shocking. Wipers looked like spaghetti, jeezsus!

First off, all you in the PNW probably laugh but seriously to beg the question, are there essentially off-the-shelf units or builders that have developed a solid lamp with some of the ‘new’ tech.

I mean... are nearly all units hand built and done otherwise through expert lamp builders?

And there’s the rub, I like the look at the FLEX Dealer, that whole retro 40 thing is equally sweet for the car show or personal flavor but some of these crazy intense lamps seem too space age looking or German-like for my tastes but what’s the skinny, do these custom HID or whatever lamps really kick arse or will they kick one’s arse on reliability or some crazy motor vehicle code?

Gonna be hard to push me off the stock lamps but one must be reasonable where safety is concerned. Whatever happens with the second 80 dream an ARB is definitely going out in front of the wife’s sofa, which I am already looking into gears...

...but these OEM lights, her driving tired, that crazy white sudden rain, I am really serious about that. Any reviews, links, comments, experience or ideas might settle the question in my head.

LandCruiserPhil wow, since I got you here, seems like I already planned on sending you some dough. lol.

Seriously, I will look at the post, thanks.

Alright. So there is a legit solution. The lamp assy. or lamp glass remains virtually the same? HIR lamps...? let me google image the bulb.

There are some nice LED options as well that fit in the stock housing, but I wouldn't know if we have LC-specific vendors for them. @richardlillard1

IMHO:

*HIR
*Depos (and others like Depo)
*Modified AFTERMARKET housing with projector installed
*Aussie quad light conversion
7" round headlight conversion from Mud vendor "Kelly Saad"

HIR bulbs are cheap and easy, offer an improvement and are long lasting if your headlight housings are in good condition. I think new OEM headlights run around $250 each. Depo's offered an improvement over OEM, and ability to convert over to HID/LED for more light. These Depo's had glass lenses and could be modified or left alone and look great. AUSSIE quad light conversion, to me they look spectacular but when people from Aussie say that the US lights have more light output then that's not really a step forward. Maybe LED or HID options can improve the light output of these square headlights? 7" round headlight conversion, OMG so many headlights to choose from, the conversion parts are made by hand and are pricey...

With all those options, I am waiting for my 7" headlight conversion and grill to arrive. Just ran wires for the conversion to run through relays and my 3/4" LED amber signal lights arrived and waiting. 7" headlight options are endless, starting at $20 to $800 depending on how fancy you want and how deep your pockets are.

I see those I guess “Aussie” buckets pop-up in the vendors every once in awhile. I dig the rig whenever I see those lamps in an image.

I have a slight case of OCD. I am thinking I will run through all the options at one point or another. The HIR seems like an improvement worth its weight. I am gonna start there, pretty sure.

Sc0-Man, thanks for being so concise. I want the wife to have improved vision and her eyes are only getting older so I am pretty sure I am gonna be revisiting this exact issue every winter.

What bugs me is some of these after market lamps have a whole LAPD helicopter spotlight intensity about them... how some of these guys running these over the top ray guns get away with it I’ll never know.

Last edited:
Retrofit the EURO BMW HIDs is the best option. These are great. I went simple solution. Main was quad style, So I got two bi-halogen 90mm Halogens and two hi beams. See on my avatar how they are mounted. Light I was satisfied for a while. Then I modified the bi-halogen into bi-HID. Now I am happy. But I keep my plans for further upgrade into quad Hella Bi-LEDs. They are awesome.

Here is the link for 90mm Hellas bi-halogen, HID and LEDs.
https://www.hella.com/truck/assets/media/704_90mm_General_Overview_KI_HELLA_EN.pdf

I have led bulb and they are stupid bright. befor you go and start changing out the headlights try the easy stuff first, try the hir bulbs, try hid bulbs, one of those may be good enough for your needs.
personally I like the factory headlights, the housings are well designed and has good light pattern, but the output with the standard bulbs does suck the big one

LEDs and HIDs in the reflector type headlamps is wrong, very wrong. No dim lights cut out. light pattern goes everywhere. Too much glare on incoming traffic. Not good at all.

The best option as I said earlier is a retrofit of BMWs Hella projector modules and polishing the glass of the headlamp. Best and effective.

LEDs and HIDs in the reflector type headlamps is wrong, very wrong. No dim lights cut out. light pattern goes everywhere. Too much glare on incoming traffic. Not good at all.

The best option as I said earlier is a retrofit of BMWs Hella projector modules and polishing the glass of the headlamp. Best and effective.
In your opinion, and experience. I have 2 friends with LED bulbs in stock housings, and after adjusting them down a bit they are a fantastic upgrade- and I generally hate seeing oncoming traffic with aftermarket LED's that haven't been aimed correctly. 'Best' in this case is very subjective.

When the wife and I lived in Silverdale, WA we noticed in both of our cars the lighting sucked. We replaced the bulbs in both cars with the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and they made a big improvement. We both went to work before sunrise and the dark roads, heavy woods didn't help much as far as visibility. But these bulbs made a big difference.

Yes that is correct, it is very subjective. But I prefer to make it not only comfortable for me but for other people as well.
I was never happy in general with Japanese cars headlights. For my 80 I have tested all options possible. FF quad headlights, IPF "fat boy" bulbs, brand new OEM Koito headlamps and bulbs all did not gave me what I wanted.
I have tested the LEDs - they are not designed to output like the bulb's filament. So if you are using LEDs, they are better be in a projector.

90mm bi-halogen Hella is't that expensive to save on your own safety.
I am saving up for 4 units of gen 3 Hella'sLEDs. They aren't cheap, but worth of every penny spent.

If you have quad headlights that's an option to go

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom