96 3.0 minimal head gasket job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
My daughter has a history of killing Toyota truck engines.

The first one was my wife’s 95 fzj80. Now she’s likely blown the head gasket(s) on her 96 4Runner.

What could be the least amount of parts and work to fix that? I have no experience with that engine?

On both trucks the rear heater lines rusted and blew out while she was driving. Instead if being mindful of the guages she just keeps driving.

'96 should be 3.4L, 5VZFE. See chart.

4Runner Generations.jpg

How did she kill them?

get a head gasket set, t-belt, water pump, and d-belts. the head gasket set from the dealer will have all the gaskets you will need, itll be a little more expensive but you wont realize later that you forgot something when its all going back together.

Any ideas of cost associated with the listed parts? It’s not my money to spend.

Head gasket kit $60-100ish from what I've seen.
https://go.skimresources.com/?id=31...nd-cruisers.107/&xtz=300&jv=13.6.1-2&bv=2.5.1

Belts, water pump and other associated parts. $100-600ish.
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Timin...g+belt+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=51IQNY2x8YL&ref=plSrch

You're also going to want to do an oil change and coolant change. Might as well do pluggs and wires, air filter and clean the MAF.

I'm not suggesting that you actually buy the kits I've listed. I did very little research into the quality of the kits I picked, just using them a reference for the parts you will want. If you go to the dealership it will cost you but you will be sure to have what you need and it will be good quality. Otherwise you can shop around a bit and have everything for a couple hundred $ but no guarantee on quality of the parts.

To answer your initial question, I have no idea what the absolute minimum for a head gasket job would be but if you're digging in that deep you might as well do everything else. So I'd guess that you're looking at $100 in parts and materials at a minimum and something in the $1k range on the high side.

How did she kill them?

Not trying to be funny here. This is the closest I would get to a knowing mileage it can go when one runs a Toyota to failure. What was the miles?

dont u need to get replacement, new , head bolts too?

I know a lot of them stretch when tourqed, and then you never get a good seal again.

Not trying to be funny here. This is the closest I would get to a knowing mileage it can go when one runs a Toyota to failure. What was the miles?

With both trucks it was because she didn't pay attention to the engine temp guage. Both trucks happened to have the steel rear heat lines rust through. The 80 had 300K on it and the 4runner over 200k. We had just given her full ownership of the 4runner before it started having issues. I'm still working to get the 80 back up. We love that truck and won't give up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom