Oil Galley Plug WTF? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two Buck

SILVER Star
Threads
Fixing the oil galley plug has been on my to-do list for, well, forever. So today I finally really took a good look at it to see what's what. And it looks like the PO has done something to it...but what? It looks like some kind of semi-clear epoxy on it. Anyone know what this might be? And is that the stock plug underneath it or something else?

I was going to tackle it today to prep for a desert trip next weekend, but then I realized that I forgot to get a new valve cover gasket and I don't want to open it up without that standing by. So... Whatever the PO did has held up for the 18+ years I've owned the truck; I'm thinking I can get away with putting it off a little longer.

IMG_9313-XL.jpg

Close up:
Screen%20Shot%202018-07-21%20at%2010.30.28%20AM-XL.png

Hard to tell...you have had the truck for 18 years with it not leaking. I had no idea about the oil galley problem drove from nc to Breckenridge and back not knowing about in a way i am glad i didn't it would have had me paranoid as hell needless to say i have fixed it mine wasn't leaking but the plug didn't take much effort to come out. I didn't pull the valve cover just went slow cleaned the tap and put new grease on it a couple of times then started the truck for a second to flush anything that may have been left then installed the threaded plug.

That doesn't look anything like the original galley plug, it's just a concave aluminum pressed in plug. Underneath the red it looks like some kind of fitting with a hex pattern.

Impossible to tell from the pic what was done. If it were weeping, I'd be worried, but since it's dry ... Hey, it's only your engine :grinpimp:

btw, so you're planning a Desert Trip during the heatwave ? o_O

Impossible to tell from the pic what was done. If it were weeping, I'd be worried, but since it's dry ... Hey, it's only your engine :grinpimp:

:wideyed:

btw, so you're planning a Desert Trip during the heatwave ? o_O

Yeah, no kidding. Blame my buddy from Great Britain -- he picked the date. He's riding a dual sport bike across the TAT and Mojave Road is the last bit of it. He wanted me to ride it with him but I told him no way am I riding my bike (BMW R1200GSA) through all that sand in that heat, but I'll chase him in the truck.

OP - looks like someone has done the fix on yours. Keep an eye on it, but I wouldn’t undo that.
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. It's clean and dry as a bone there, so I'm thinking maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom