Period-correct sound system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking it would be cool to grab an aftermarket (Alpine? Blaupunkt?) head unit that was available in 1993 and installing it.

Has anyone tried this? Deliberately installing (and finding) a much older head unit?

I did something similar in my 87 4runner. Very old school pioneer tape player, then an Alpine CD player, then back to another Pioneer. It's coming out now, I will be installing the factory technics head unit as a dummy unit, and hiding a marine audio unit behind the glove box. It was a colossal waste of time and effort, and still didn't even look as cool as the factory unit. Your mileage may vary.

I've seen some retro-modern head units out there for classic and muscle cars. I'm sure they'd work with a 80 series. Ask the google monster. It does sound like a PITA, however - IMO

If you do a single din, get the little aftermarket cubby hole for the second slot, or pair it up with a period correct single din EQ. The old alpine stuff with the 6 clear square buttons is from around those years too.

If you do a single din, get the little aftermarket cubby hole for the second slot, or pair it up with a period correct single din EQ. The old alpine stuff with the 6 clear square buttons is from around those years too.
That would be rad!

Head-unit, no, I like the factory unit for period correctness. But I did add some stuff from the 80's, for my 80. :D
(Using a line-out converter after the factory amp.)

BPA.JPG

BEQ.JPG

Then get some old school Zapco amps! Hell I still have 2 in the garage somewhere. I used to like hearing comments about my Zapcos. "What brand is that? Is it some swapmeet brand?" "Listen to my Fosgate.." blah blah.. then proceed to rattle their fillings with the very bland looking little white amps!

I had one of those pre-amped Bazooka tubes in the back window of my 86 BMW 325es.

Maybe I should get one of those ;)

My stuff is not actually from the 90's but I think it matches the truck pretty well. Went with an Alpine that's not a touch screen and had the ability to have green background lighting like the factory. Also went with the screen style covers for my Hertz door speakers rather than the big plastic ones most speakers come with today. Hid a small fosgate amp in the dash for a bit more power. I think it fits the truck well and it gives me all the modern conveniences like blue tooth, USB, Ipod, pandora etc.

Door Speaker Front.jpg
Head Unit.jpg

In my eyes, nothing looks as period correct as the oem unit. What I want is a bt module that allows me to output whatever’s on my iPhone thru the factory system.

New headunits have too many plusses IMO to bother messing with obsolete ones. Old amps are very cool though.

What the heck does the stock stereo even look like?

I have never seen one. There are some companies now that make amps with bluetooth connectivity. But any serious audio hardware will probably not have it unless it is a headunit since BT is not know for its clarity.

If someone really wanted to they could probably gut one of those and put modern insides to keep it looking factory. At least no one would try to steal that one.

Clarion drx-9255. Analog volume. Way more legit than a nakamichi.

00b961b02149009658e4aadb404eb71d_1.jpg
Plus a bass/trebble knob too!!

Much, much better than scrolling through a menu with the one-knob-for-everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom