Awning Advice from Andrew White (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
I have to disagree with one thing he said, and that is that a 270 degree awning is not great if you are going to leave your rig in one position the whole trip.
When I used my Eezi-Awn Bat 270 awning at Mount Rainier last August, I did not move the rig, and I had very good protection from the sun the whole time.

I think he may have been referring to the shadow awn specifically. It has no way of adjusting it up or down for the shade. But that is pretty much the way the batwing is. I feel the same you do though, the 270 awning is nice. I might buy the wall kit for mine from ok4wd to have extra closed in space.

20180303_142607.jpg

20180303_143320.jpg

Edit* I just watched this video, I thought this was the old video, which he mentions that he deleted. The benefit of the batwing or the alucab 270 is that even if you did have to move the vehicle, you can just fold up the poles if you had them down and move it quickly. Mine only has 1 pole, but if you order the wall kit you get the other two poles.

Last edited:
You can see here how I had shade, but it was more towards the rear of the vehicle.
I was parked there for several days, and all we had to do was pick up the chairs and move them, but there way always coverage under some part of the awning.

My Bat 270 has three poles, and you just stake them down through holes in the feet.

3.jpg

15.jpg

I'm not in the know when it comes to the 270º awnings but seems like the Alu-cab and EZ Awn versions have similar price points while the Batwing from Rhino Rack is half or less. The Batwing may not be built as substantial as the other two and not made to be free standing. Does that about sum it up?

Yes, and because it is not freestanding, setup and take down is longer, and can be a PITA in certain conditions. But I guess as you get used to it it becomes easier.

Yes, and because it is not freestanding, setup and take down is longer, and can be a PITA in certain conditions. But I guess as you get used to it it becomes easier.

Agreed - I've got an older Foxwing which pretty much needs its poles and stakes every time it's deployed. If anyone's shopping, I'd recommend spending the extra $$ and get something that is freestanding (to the best degree possible) - you'll be glad you did after you've used it a few times.

I think he may have been referring to the shadow awn specifically. It has no way of adjusting it up or down for the shade. But that is pretty much the way the batwing is. I feel the same you do though, the 270 awning is nice. I might buy the wall kit for mine from ok4wd to have extra closed in space.......
Just so you know - the "closed in space" you are expecting is not protection from bugs or heavy weather. Since there is no inside wall next to your rig, there is no sealing off the enclosure. I've come to the conclusion with mine, it is more for privacy and you also have some protection from blowing rain, if it's set up in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom