Rear Heater Hoses (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the head off of my '94, and I'm thinking I might as well replace those rear heater hoses since they're easy to get to. I like going OEM, but unfortunately the only way to get the rubber parts is to get the hard lines too. I know HPS has a silicone kit to replace just about every hose for the 80, but the added expense doesn't seem worth it based on the mixed reviews. Am I wrong about that?

So, my question is, what size are these hoses? I haven't found a definitive answer, and I'm not with the truck to measure them myself. More helpful, though, would be a Gates Green Stripe part number, since that's the direction I think I'm going to go. Are the hoses on the firewall the same as the ones under the truck? Thanks!

Just buy several feet of gates green stripe 1/2” and some 5/8” and don’t forget the ones for the rear heater under the truck. I did all of mine fairly recently, your going to be stoked the engine isn’t in the way.

Buy about 3-4 ft of Gates Green Stripe 5/8" hose and cut to length. New Breeze brand constant torque hose clamps.

Unfortunately, I tried 5/8 green stripe, but was too loose. Both leaked with good clamps. Finally found a metric size silicone that fit and has been perfect since. Think it was 13 or 14 mm silicone hose.

2 years on silicone, no issues, but it was good quality stuff.

1/2 was way too small.

Would 1/2" ID have worked? I've heard semi-bad things about silicone, including its propensity to let coolant out slowly, but I haven't ruled it out completely...

How long have you had the silicone in?
Silicone seeps water over time, so your coolant becomes (over time) super-concentrated. Sure silicone takes extreme heat better--but the rubber hoses I'm replacing now were put on in '95, so why bother? That said, if you flush / change coolant on an accelerated schedule, silicone shouldn't be a problem. Might be okay on normal schedule. But if you change coolant every few years, steer clear. Silicone oven mitts are cool, though. :)

This thread has part numbers for bulk metric heater hose from Toyota. Maybe it will help. 5th or 6th post:
Replacement Heater Hoses

Reactions: RFB
If you are eliminating the rear heater LCP now offers a factory molded hose available in Gates or Toyota for the bypass.

IMG_8385.jpg

I have the head off of my '94, and I'm thinking I might as well replace those rear heater hoses since they're easy to get to. I like going OEM, but unfortunately the only way to get the rubber parts is to get the hard lines too. I know HPS has a silicone kit to replace just about every hose for the 80, but the added expense doesn't seem worth it based on the mixed reviews. Am I wrong about that?

So, my question is, what size are these hoses? I haven't found a definitive answer, and I'm not with the truck to measure them myself. More helpful, though, would be a Gates Green Stripe part number, since that's the direction I think I'm going to go. Are the hoses on the firewall the same as the ones under the truck? Thanks!
use OEm or gates green do NOT use HPS trust me, ask how I know

This thread has part numbers for bulk metric heater hose from Toyota. Maybe it will help. 5th or 6th post:
Replacement Heater Hoses

Just so no one has to search that thread, the OEM 13mm ID hoses have a part number of 99556-2**** where the asterisks are the length. So I got 2x 99556-20300 for 300mm worth of hose.

If you are eliminating the rear heater LCP now offers a factory molded hose available in Gates or Toyota for the bypass.

View attachment 1749552

That'd be nice to stick in the pile of trail spares for anyone who hasn't changed both sets of rear heater hard lines. Cheap insurance right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom