yes, another hood vent thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
but different! I was surfing the I-net and came across some popup vents that one mud member had on one of his older vehicles. so I started searching the web and found a guy that had something similar on a jeep Cherokee. what he said was they are trailer vents. so I searched some more and found these...

https://www.amazon.com/Kay-Enterpri...532118747&sr=8-5&keywords=pop+up+trailer+vent

has anyone used them on their 80? theyre not as sporty as a lot of the others I seen. I really don't like the looks of the run cool vents and others like them. I want to be able to close it for rain and what not. any other suggestions?

I had some of those in one of my 18 wheelers. On the Cab. They work good. Every once in a while you will see them on the hoods of 18 wheelers. Usually Peterbilts or Kenworths to help went the heat from the engine bay.

I had some of those in one of my 18 wheelers. On the Cab. They work good. Every once in a while you will see them on the hoods of 18 wheelers. Usually Peterbilts or Kenworths to help went the heat from the engine bay.
that's what I wanted to do but I would like to see something on an 80 first...

that's what I wanted to do but I would like to see something on an 80 first...
They do protrude a bit into the panel they are installed into. So clearances would have to be checked. Older utilitarian vehicles used to have similar devicles.

I know arb has some like these in a way but they don't open as much. they do look better IMO but they were meant for the arb shell for a truck and not sure if they sell separately. look plastic tho".

Air-Vent.jpg

ARB-Canopy-Taree-Off-Road-7.jpg

ARB-B3698%20-%20Spares%20&%20acc_%20ARB-%204700010%20canopy%20vent%20%20for%20hardtop-1509957567.jpg

What’s the point to haveing them close? Are you worried about being to cold in the winter?

I’ve been think big about making some to fit the 80 hood within the subframe with only cutting outer sheet metal. Which would make them pretty small.

You could make them cable operated so they're more like the cowl flaps on aircraft. They have a very tacked on as an afterthought feeling to them, but not a bad idea. You could keep them closed for fast warm up in the winter and normal operation, then open them for trail work and/or on hot and heavy days.

Maybe look for some that'd sit more flush if you're worried about aesthetics.

I've been looking for something more low profile. A "it looks like it belongs there" type. I really don't like the ones you see on Jeep's. They look tacky imo. But so would these. I want to be able to open and close the vents as needed. I go to family's house in the Sierra's quite a bit so I see quite a bit of snow but I mostly see alot of heat here in yuma. With my sometimes feeling amphibious in the Colorado and gila rivers, water is known to roll up over the hood a bit. Being able to close it is just a better idea...

Get some GTO hood vents, simple and clean.:)
IMG_1099 (1).JPG

Reactions: RFB
PO installed 2 small vents on either side of hood only cut 60% for them so not fully functional, Im going to try these but Im afraid it will cause radiator issues they claim its been tested and they are made specif for 80 series my hesitation is these were tested just not on a supercharged 80 like mine. Toyota FJ80 Landcruiser Hood Louvers

Considered. I'm assuming you just cut a hole behind the cruise control actuator?

Check it out, you will find there are holes at the back on both sides from the factory. In the past I measure where the heat hides and found the highest temp at the back of the firewall, making fender vents look like a good choice for heat removal.

Good to know. A few of my cars have these vents from the factory and you can really feel the heat coming out of them when the windows down.

Do you happen to have the year/model range that vent is from?

Good to know. A few of my cars have these vents from the factory and you can really feel the heat coming out of them when the windows down.

Do you happen to have the year/model range that vent is from?

Sorry I dont recall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom