97 Rear Driveshaft Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m building an 80 series that I bought having never driven it because the motor was bad. I am at the point where I discovered that the splines on the rear driveshaft are bad but the U joints are good. This got me to thinking about several questions. One, with a 50 mm lift how much do the splines pull out of the shaft ? Anyone have a picture? Secondly, Am I better off just re-doing when I have or find a good core? Or, Would it be better to put a long travel spline set up not necessarily for my lift but maybe for durability?

Splines don't pull out substantialy with a 50mm lift. What do you mean they're "bad" anyway?

Don't put some long travel job in there. The travel characteristics of the stock driveshaft make that unnecessary.

Splines are worn so there is play in the slip joint.

i have used ones if you just want to toss in another stock one.

Has anyone used neapco u joints with good results? That’s what my local driveshaft shop uses.

Has anyone used neapco u joints with good results? That’s what my local driveshaft shop uses.

They're OK.........Not as good as the Matsuba joints (or whatever the TOYOTA joints are.....)

I ran Neapco's on an old Chevy for years, but I was used to replacing parts regularly on that thing so it was nothing new.

Having the mileage on the LC that I have and knowing what has been done to it is night and day compared to my old Chevy......

Except my old Chevy had 375 HP.........and a manual transmission.

Matsuba is the readily available "go to" , high quality replacement U-joiunt. Cruiser outfitters has them for a very reasonable price. Toyota could have had more than one OE supplier. You can read about this for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom