Brake Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 fj40 that I recently converted to disk brakes by installing a front end for a ‘78. I also installed a brake booster that I bought from BTB. The brakes work ok but I’m having to pump a little to get them to completely lock. What’s weird to me is that I don’t have to pump at all when the car is off and if I have the brake pedal pressed and I turn the car on it immediately drops to the floor. Shouldn’t the brakes work better when I turn the car on? Maybe the vacuum hose is connected in the wrong spot?

Using a piece of bubble gum check and adjust Clarence between master cylinder piston and brake booster pushrod. (about 0.003")

sounds like air in lines. or rear drums need adjusting. I would go with air in lines. may want to bleed some more and see if that helps. Sometimes, it takes awhile for all the air to work out of the lines. I drove mine for a few months with a two pump needed but the air eventually got out & I've had no problems except for rear drum adjustments.

good luck, ty

I already had stock disk brakes up front and just added an FJ80 disk brake FF rear axle and FJ80 master cylinder, and without a doubt I have the best brakes I've EVER had on my 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom