Am I too OCD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redeye

SILVER Star
Threads
New tires arrived today, all five are getting replaced. The truck is going from a weekend driver to near-daily driver. Fresh knuckle rebuild is done.

Option 1) My gut tells me to be these tires mounted the hard way - remove all five wheels from the truck, borrow a pickup truck, then drive the current wheels/tires + new tires to Maevis and get them mounted & balanced. I say this because I want the lug nuts torqued to spec.

Option 2) The alternative is to do it like the rest of the planet and let them just do their thing. I’d unbolt each lug when I get home, then tighten to the correct torque. I suppose the studs could stretch though.

Option 1 will take longer. I need to figure out the pickup situation.

What would you do?

-Ed

Ask to stand there while they torque them.

I RARELY let anyone else touch my truck.

I had Discount Tire install and mount my tire while I sat in the window and watched closely. I had the discussion about torque before they even started. I insisted that the wheels on mine are to be torques to 100 LB-FT. Their book told them only 78 LB-FT. We discussed back and forth, and I know WHY their book said 78 (shank style wheels for that year...Mine has acorn style - 8/95 build) Yes, I watched them step through the torques on the TW, so they followed my procedure.

So, since it was less, I let them torque to 78. Then I torqued them when I got home to 100.

Torque isn't really the big issue, the problem is when they crossthread your lug nuts. I speak to the tech whenever possible and let them know I have had issues and don't want them again.

There's no such thing as TOO OCD.

Or is it CDO? (That way it's in alphabetical order!)

Ask to stand there while they torque them.

I RARELY let anyone else touch my truck.

I had Discount Tire install and mount my tire while I sat in the window and watched closely. I had the discussion about torque before they even started. I insisted that the wheels on mine are to be torques to 100 LB-FT. Their book told them only 78 LB-FT. We discussed back and forth, and I know WHY their book said 78 (shank style wheels for that year...Mine has acorn style - 8/95 build) Yes, I watched them step through the torques on the TW, so they followed my procedure.

So, since it was less, I let them torque to 78. Then I torqued them when I got home to 100.

On my 94' discount tire's computer said 80 lb/ft. I showed them the owners manual spec of 108 lb/ft and they didn't have any issue applying the correct torque.

For @redeye just take it in and you'll be fine. Things can happen but these guys work with lug nuts all day. If you are concerned bring your torque wrench and double check in the parking lot before leaving.

On my 94' discount tire's computer said 80 lb/ft. I showed them the owners manual spec of 108 lb/ft and they didn't have any issue applying the correct torque.

For @redeye just take it in and you'll be fine. Things can happen but these guys work with lug nuts all day. If you are concerned bring your torque wrench and double check in the parking lot before leaving.

If you look at it for the 96, it's listed as the 78-80 (whatever it is) because of the shank style lugs.

My truck is a 96, but was built in 8/95 and has the acorn lugs, so it should be the 108. They wouldn't do it and I couldn't find the numbers in my owners manual in a timely manner. Also, because I wanted, I would still check them with my own torque wrench anyway, because I'm OCD......

Just let them do their job. Tell them you want them to be careful with the torque spec. Some people have pride in their work still

My acorn style lug nuts on a July '94 build torque to 76 ft/lbs.

OP - find a tire place that will follow YOUR instructions on torque specs. My little local guy usually just torques to whatever their air guns are set to and hand you the keys. I ask them for specific specs on every car I take them and watch...they torque to MY specs.

I go to the local peerless tire because they do the work out in the parking lot and I can watch and chat with the tech (they are honda nerds, which I used to be). They use the torque wrench even without being asked, but to be fair, I'm not sure what it's set to :hmm:

My acorn style lug nuts on a July '94 build torque to 76 ft/lbs.

OP - find a tire place that will follow YOUR instructions on torque specs. My little local guy usually just torques to whatever their air guns are set to and hand you the keys. I ask them for specific specs on every car I take them and watch...they torque to MY specs.
I thought someone posted a photo the other day that said the acorns on the '94 should be to 96 109ft/lbs? I am super confused now.

Last edited:
My understanding is that any 80 series alloy wheel is torqued to somewhere around 80 ft/lbs (a few pounds either way won't hurt, so I use 80) and steel wheels are up around 125 ft/lbs.

Edit- see next post for true specs.

Last edited:
From Wits End website:

upload_2018-7-19_15-32-47.png

Direct from @cruiserdan :

"That is a 93-94 wheel with conical steel inserts. That wheel/nut combination is correct. Do check all the wheels however, including the spare. If the spare does not match you will want to get correct lug nuts and toss them in the tool bag. The correct torque for this application is 109 lb-ft. 76 lb-ft for the washer-based nuts."

and congratulations to @ZackR for the speed of finding that!

This is the photo and I just checked my wrench and it was set for 109 ft/lbs. I am running with that. Nothing has fallen off yet and I can still get them loose, which happens all the time. It's like a much slower NASCAR(maybe like a NASCAR starter crew that is learning the ropes up in the Iron Leagues?)pit crew over here. ;)

Thanks guys.

I guess I'm just intent on not snapping or cross-threading studs. The last time I took the truck to get new tires was a number of years ago. I went to remove a lug on one of the rear tires soon thereafter and snapped a lug, then a second. I suppose I can bring the truck home and remove the lugs one by one and properly torque to 76 ft lbs.

That option is definitely easier. I'd really rather not try and get the truck on 4 jackstands. What a pain w/o a pickup truck.

Thanks guys.

I guess I'm just intent on not snapping or cross-threading studs. The last time I took the truck to get new tires was a number of years ago. I went to remove a lug on one of the rear tires soon thereafter and snapped a lug, then a second. I suppose I can bring the truck home and remove the lugs one by one and properly torque to 76 ft lbs.

That option is definitely easier. I'd really rather not try and get the truck on 4 jackstands. What a pain w/o a pickup truck.
Sounds like you need a 2WD Tacoma. Best truck ever in terms of cost of ownership, gas mileage, and handiness. I was thinking the other day that I have made more than a million dollars in my life out of a little truck. I love mine as much as I love my 80, almost. Mine is my little buddy that I take advantage of and then spend the money I earn with it on the 80. Such is life for a Camry with a bed, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom