Will a 2UZ-FE fit into a 70 series (73 MWB) chassis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening fellas,

I'm planning an engine swap into a MWB 73, down here in Aus, and I'm leaning towards the 2UZ-FE. Hoping to pluck the engine, gearbox and wiring etc from a wreck (will have to travel a bit probably to pick one up), and just got some questions. I've been quoted between 5k and 6.5k for the engine, gearbox, ecu and wiring etc, which still seems cheaper than the LS swap I was originally considering. Thoughts?

I've heard tell that the 100 series chassis are wider, to accommodate both the IFS, and the 1HD-FTE and 2UZ-FE motors. However I thought that all the HD's and Hz's had the same mounts, and since they released a HZJ73, that most motors should fit.

Does the H151F/H150F require mount modifications to replace the H55F that most of the MWB era cruisers came with? What about the 5 speed auto that the 100s come with? I believe I read somewhere that the auto is longer and requires modified tail shafts.

I've seen it mentioned a few times, but has anyone put a 2UZ into an early 70 series chassis before?
Any ideas/thoughts etc at all on what would be required to fit the 2UZ-FE into a 73 MWB? Or on other engine swaps?

Cheers fellas,
Matt.

Allow me to get philosophical...

The answer to every 'Will part X fit into truck Y?' is always 'Yes'.

What the poster of such questions is probably really asking, is actually a very personal question that cannot be answered on the internet.... "Am I willing to do the work to fit part X into truck Y?"

There is a pointless debate we can get trapped in... 'Should part X go into truck Y?' Ultimately, the answer to every one of those questions is also 'Yes'

What I really like to read, and what keeps me coming to forums, is the hope that I will see those rare threads... "I put part X into Truck Y. Here's what I learned''

What the poster of such questions is probably really asking, is actually a very personal question that cannot be answered on the internet.... "Am I willing to do the work to fit part X into truck Y?"

There is a pointless debate we can get trapped in... 'Should part X go into truck Y?' Ultimately, the answer to every one of those questions is also 'Yes'

What I really like to read, and what keeps me coming to forums, is the hope that I will see those rare threads... "I put part X into Truck Y. Here's what I learned''

Well put Peter. Fewer and fewer of these latter types of threads these days unfortunately.

Also a 2UZ is smaller in just about every dimension than an LS (including hp/tq :p) , and people have done LS swaps. So it stands to reason a UZ would fit fine.

807ddae8616924ef9e2574a471aac453.jpg

main-ls1a.png

Cool site. But I don't see the conversion that you are referencing. I see adaptor set ups for the R and G series transmissions but not to the H series.

They have a much more extensive catalogue than the website lets on. On the bellhousing page they say they have a lot more than whats listed online. They used to have a pdf catalouge, will see if i can find it.

Voila
http://www.dellowconversions.com.au/images/DellowAutomotive.pdf

Their 2F and 2H H55F kits would work with an 70 series H55F with and input shaft swap. They don't list the H55f but refer to it as landcruiser 5 speed.

Um. No. There are no mentions of 1UZ/2UZ to H series transmissions. They reference G, W, T, P and R transmissions. No H transmissions. The first section discusses the "Types of Toyota Manual Overdrive Transmissions" but completely neglect the H transmissions until the LC engine conversion section.

No mentions of 1UZ/2UZ to H4x/5x transmissions.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 17.20.06.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 17.19.28.png

The H15X were found behind the 2UZ. I would not do anything but use that combination since they came that way from the factory. They are a bit longer than the H55/split case combos so would be a bit tougher in a SWB. Better in MWB and LWB trucks.

I have a 1UZ-FE in a LJ73. Mine is LHD. With Aus RHD you will have clearance problems with your steering box. Mine is super tight with the AC compressor and yours will be the PS pump.

As far as I know your will need to find a manual V8 ECU and loom to run with the H151F/H150F and remain legal in Australia. if you are getting the swap engineered they will not allow aftermarket ECUs without an emissions certificate which is mega bucks.

The Toyota V8s are wider than the Chev due to bore spread, and taller due to overhead cams. The bank angle of a LS is 45, a UZ is 90.

Despite the pics above a LS overall is smaller than UZ. LS aftermarket parts like block hugging headers and ancillary relocation brackets are readily available. On my 1UZ the cast log headers are the only thing that will fit inside the chassis rails.

Ready to be shot down in flames.

I looked into a 2UZ swap with my existing H55F in my FJ73 awhile ago but there was no bellhousing to be found at the time.

At the risk of giving out bad info so please correct me if I am wrong, the factory manual 2UZ was only for the Middle East market so they would be difficult to source.

What exactly is the project vehicle? There are several flavours of MWB 70. My LJ is a little different to most of em.

Not sure on the 1UZ vs 2UZ differences. The above engine pics & dimensions are a bit misleading as the 1UZ is shown fairly naked but the LS has all the bollocks attached. I would agree with Axehead that the LS is the more compact motor. I don't think they're 45 deg V angle though, I thought they were 90 deg like just about every other GM V8? Been told they're lighter too. Not that a 2UZ wouldn't be a sweet motor.

Cheers
Clint

I would be worried at first with the 2UZ manual ECU and harness .. I've been dreaming with a 1UZ ( From a GS400 I have available ) on Tencha but the ECU harness it's a point that hold me down ..

The H15X were found behind the 2UZ. I would not do anything but use that combination since they came that way from the factory. They are a bit longer than the H55/split case combos so would be a bit tougher in a SWB. Better in MWB and LWB trucks.

Hello,

I remember reading somewhere about 100 Series Land Cruisers with H15X transmissions. If so, as a factory combination it is something worth considering. Less tinkering.

I know many out there swear by the H55F, but in my humble opinion the H15X are a good option. H150/151/152 are beefier than they look. And they do not slip gears in old age.

Some users have swapped 2UZs into Light Duty 70 Series. Therefore there is enough space in the engine bay in both HD and LD models. Not the case, apparently, for the 1VD.

A concern of mine is the wire harness and ECU. But electrics/electronics are a matter of having the right parts and knowing what you are doing.

Again, I remember reading a thread here with a link to a document on how to set that stuff up. It should be possible to make the electronics work reliably.

Juan

G'day, fully agree. However, couldn't find too many posts answering my questions, about how difficult the swap may be, so I myself could figure that out. Just hoping to learn from people's experiences and then add my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom